sirlegin

Well Known Member
What methods of transporting your plane to the hangar did you use?
I have a street with a tree canopy over it so I must keep the "rig" relatively low.
Any thoughts?

If "low" is what you want....I used a trailer supplied by a friend who belongs to an antique fire truck club, and uses it to transport trucks to shows. The trailer was wider than the usual flatbed trailer - wide enough for the -8's gear stance. Sat very low to the ground as well.

Paul

U-Haul

I transported by 6A to the airport in a 26' U-Haul trailer. Total bill was about $85. I liked this due to the airplane being in an enclosed environment instead of on an open trailer or liftback wrecker. I only took the fuselage and wings as the remaining parts were easy to take in my Honda van. Whatever you use, when you build the ramp the nosewheel ramp needs to be shorter that the others to maintain the same attitude on the plane as you progress. If equal lengths, you'll discover that the tail will hit the ground before the main gear begin up the ramp. :eek: Guess you can figure how I discovered that. If you make the lengths such that they are all contacting the wheels just before the airplane starts up the ramps, you'll keep a good attitude. I used 2x10" lumber with 2x4 side rails for rigidity.