mrreddick

Well Known Member
Glad I made the trip this year! Met a couple RV'ers that I had communicated with and read many of their posts on our Forum for quite some time and now I have faces to put with names: Gary Zilik & Darwin Barrie.
After orbiting in the arrival area for over 20 minutes waiting for my Special VFR clearance into Front Range Airport on Saturday morning (700' ceilings), I arrived just in time to attend the seminar by Michael Maya Charles on "Artful Flying", he has a book out by the same name (I bought it and got it signed by the author). It made attending RMRFI worthwhile, for me anyway.

Great job this year by the RMRFI volunteer workers! You guys were really on the ball and kept the arrivals and departures flowing.

Hope to see ya'll again next year!

RMRFI trip...

After seeing those low clouds when I awoke Saturday in Denver, I was afraid of a very light turnout for the fly-in. I was already in Denver for a non-aviation trade show and had flown in to KFTG June 18th. I had communicated via email with the show organizer, Jim Cimiluca, seeking hangar space since the summer storms there can often contain hail. Little did I know that my hangar benefactor Scott McMillan was the VP of the RMRFI and one of the air show performers. I was one of several airplanes to taxi to the fly-in from the "west ramp" early Saturday morning.

I spent the morning cleaning my airplane and explaining to the many visitors the process of building an airplane in my garage. Some RV-builders came by with specific questions about various processes. Other envious non-RV pilots always had the same sad face when they heard about my typical cruise speeds vs. fuel burn rate. I was so busy with visitors, I forgot to get out my camera to take any pictures at the fly-in site. I did take a few photos at the banquet on Saturday evening. EAA Chapter 43 has that "community" feel to it that is welcoming to visiting pilots and EAA members. I got the trophy for longest distance flown to the fly-in.

As for the trip from the Chattanooga area to Denver on the 18th, 8.4 hours with headwinds all the way. I made just one very quick self-service fuel stop at Fayetteville, Arkansas just before their air show started and the airport closed for three hours. The return trip on June 25th was blessed with 20 to 30 MPH tailwinds across most of Kansas. The total Hobbs meter flight time for the day was 7.4 hours with one "pit-stop", one fuel stop, one lunch stop to meet an RV-9A builder, and a second fuel stop less than one hour from home so as to not come home with empty fuel tanks. It was marginal VFR on that last short leg with a landing at sunset at my home field.

I have already posted the westbound trip photos and text on my web site. The return trip will be up after I have a chance to catch up on tasks here at home.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ 189.6 hours on the Hobbs.
www.n2prise.org

Mr. Thorne,

I was the "middle nose rib HS" guy. Although my visist was brief I enjoyed hearing some of your thoughts on RV building. I went home that evening with the confidence I was on the right track. I'll let you know when my 9 breaks it earthly bond.

Stephen Dear
RV-9 N6119 reserved. Empenage (Rudder underway)
Pueblo West, Colorado

Steve,

Just keep going on to each new kit with an open mind, honest enthusiasm, and know that when the work is finished, you get an airplane to go meet people like you! At least, that was my story....

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ "Enterprise"