petehowell

Well Known Member
I have been playing with my android phone and found a free app called rmaps that might be a nice arrow to have in the quiver. It will download and cache maps including VFR Sectionals, IFR High and Low charts.

I'd never use this as a primary, but before a trip it would be great to cache the route as a backup in the cockpit, since the phone is there already.

http://robertdeveloper.blogspot.com/

It is on the android market - not perfect, but the price is right.

untitled.JPG

Nice

Thanks Pete!

I've been looking for something like this. Curious to see how it works in the plane. What I've found so far relies on Google maps which needs cell service to update the maps. Downloaded it on the Droid, will give it a try next time I fly.

Droid App

Super, I was looking for something like this. Works great. Please anyone post other Droid apps for pilots. thanks

PS, one I like for weight n balance is Appventive Weight & Balance.

Can't figure out how to download this to my phone. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks.

Oops. Didn't see the market advice. Will look there.

Droid Market

You should have an application called MARKET that does all the application finding and downloading. It is your most important app. It is the iTunes for Droids.

Interesting.
Its definately cacheing the maps. While online I went for the IFR low maps. Its the one item I dont have in my cockpit electronically and need on occasion.
I swept across the country zooming around. Went into airplane mode killing any internet access and I was able to reload the app, and scan around and zoom in/out with good clarity. Thats pretty darn cool.
Thanks for the link.
Androids rock.
running cyanogenmod on Nexus one.

I found it pretty easily in markets but I cannot get it to display a map. It keeps pulsing the radar dish at the top of the phone but the map won't load. I'll have to try it at home later to see if the connection is better.

The "radar dish" is your GPS indicator. It is searching for your location. I struggled to get the VFR map to display, but don't recall what I did make it appear. :mad:

Dave

GPS essentials free app

Try GPS essentials...a free app. It has a camera mode that includes a very rudimentary artificial horizon. It also displays a circle so you can center your waypoint visually. Sounds goofy but I used it today to navigate (VFR) to a point I picked on the map. Pretty neat. You can also aim the camera at the waypoint...then pick a visual landmark to navigate toward. It's like a very crude HUD.

RMAPS zoom in!

I found out on RMAP that when you bring up the IFR or VFR maps they are zoomed out all the way. Press the + Button several times, then wait....the map will appear.