panhandler1956

Well Known Member
Thought I would share this entry from my kitlog.

Well I debated with myself over the viability of having my 12 year old son Mitchel run the rivet gun on my wing skins over the last few months and today it was "do or die time." I knew that if it went well he would be on cloud nine and if it went terribly wrong we would both feel stressed. I have good news to report, a 12 year can be an outstanding pneumatic gunsmith with a little coaching! We installed the left inboard top wing panel today and since Mitchel's friend Kia was here we put him to work pulling clecos and putting in the rivets as I manned the bucking bar. (Kia's dad is a 767 driver for AA).
We drilled out a few, but no big deal. No gnarley dingles, abraisions, or proud rivets to report - GOOD! Mitchel was really proud. He hadn't been able to help me much in the last several weeks since I have been doing fuel tanks and I don't want him around the chemicals.
We used the ole' "masking tape on the rivet set trick" - thanks VAF and the internet!
I left the rear spar and inboard rib rivets to the hand squeezer which I will do tomorrow morning, if possible. About 2 hrs was enough for a couple of 12 yr olds especially with the heavy 3x gun. I am proud and excited that we have successfully crossed this bridge and hopefully he can enjoy the ultimate satisfaction of looking out over those beautiful surfaces in a few years and know that he drove each of those rivets that are holding use up in the air. This is why we build airplanes in our garages!

FP09092007A00012.jpg

A riveting story( pun intended). Seriously, my son is ten, and I am in the same boat you were-concerned with the quality of work, yet not wanting to squelch his spirit. I guess I can always re-do any damage without too much trouble...

prporter said:
A riveting story( pun intended). Seriously, my son is ten, and I am in the same boat you were-concerned with the quality of work, yet not wanting to squelch his spirit. I guess I can always re-do any damage without too much trouble...

To that point, I focused on gun control, gun control, gun control. I could fix proud rivets, but I can't fix a dinted skin. I had him get against the rivet and when he was set he said "ready" and when I got set I said "go" and he hit the trigger. His timing was pretty good and obviously, smaller bursts were better until he was used to the gun. Also make sure the pressure isn't too high, that will screw things up for even an adult.
My 2 cents - good luck either way!

I dont' have any children at this point, but maybe the purchase of one of Van's practice kits could be a project for a ~12 year old. Maybe not necessary, but they could build it themselves for practice and have a trophy for their room when done :)

Oh No

:eek:

You let out the secret of child labor on RVs...

John Edwards
Empennage - RV9A

(I started my 10 year old daughter working with the cleco gun last weekend).

Impeccable Timing!

Your timing is impeccable on this thread as I have an 11 yr. old son who could possibly be my trigger man. I have always wanted to include my kids on this project and now may be the right time. I also have a 7 yr. old girl who really likes hanging put with me in the shop. I usually let her do some deburring for me on a lot of small parts.

I am quite close to needing a second set of hands for my wings and just maybe my son is the perfect age for this. What a great way to involve your kids in your project!

Yes

This is some of the absolute best quality time a Father can spend with his child.....no question. My children grew up around wood turning lathes and bandsaws and came to bed with sawdust in their hair and a smile on their face. This is just great.

Keep it up,
Pierre

If i had a choice between perfect wings and the time to have my son(s) work on the plane with me (oh wait, I DID have that choice), I'll take the latter every time.

I've mentioned this before but perhaps you might like this tradition. Have you son "autograph" the part he helps with. All the insides of mywings have signatures and dates on them.

Best looking dents

My than 13 year old son (now 19) helped me rivet. Yes we did put several dents and smiley faces in aluminum. Now that he is away at school, I wish he was around to put a few more in with me. At the time I paid him several cents for each rivet, he had a blast thinking he was earning a fortune and I had a blast spending the time with him.

My advice is make some dents.

Steve
N62KM RV8
104 hours

A great way to spend time together

I had to throw in my two cents as well...
My son (16) has been helping me everywhere where 3 or four hands is better than 2.
We are both having a blast, however, when he starts getting bored bucking on the other side of the wing skin, he tests his Dad on how fast Dad can get the gun in place before he pops the rivet back through the hole with the bar.. :)
I cant say how much this time means to me...and hopefully its going to be something he will take with him to share down the road.

PS.
Peter, I am sorry you had to sell your plane..my daughters both had a fantastic time when you took them for a ride ...they are still down under!! Hope they come home soon!

Chris Hepburn
RV-8 Wings

let them buck

I bucked my first rivets as an 11 year old because it was easy for me to climb inside the tailcone of a '65 Mooney.

Child assistance is a good thing. Bucking is easy. Especially if the bucker has a rivet gage at hand. My sons and wife have been great help.