Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I am just about done with the tower install and to the point where instructions say something to the effect "Install the rest of the rivets", those being the sides (23 or so each side).

Before I go banging up steel and aluminum, as some of those rivets are in tiny nooks & crannys, and advice would be appreciated.

Did you use special bucking bars, make special bucking bars, do some with CR's etc. Just curious before I tackle this to have some alternative ideas.

Thanks,

Sandy

Gear Tower Riveting

The WD-822 to tower side riveting wasn't too bad...I used a pneumatic squeezer for as many rivets as possible.

For rivets that had to be driven, I used a tungsten bucking bar (new at the time I did the basic construction of the towers). Since then I bought a second tungsten bar; both are from Avery (#6004 and #6007).

The tungsten bars were invaluable when it came time to attach the towers to the fuselage side skins since both are small enough to get in all the nooks and crannies.

FWIW, I have a tool drawer full of other bucking bars...but the only ones I reach for now are the tungsten bars.

Good luck,
Mike

The WD-822 to tower side riveting wasn't too bad...I used a pneumatic squeezer for as many rivets as possible.

For rivets that had to be driven, I used a tungsten bucking bar (new at the time I did the basic construction of the towers). Since then I bought a second tungsten bar; both are from Avery (#6004 and #6007).

The tungsten bars were invaluable when it came time to attach the towers to the fuselage side skins since both are small enough to get in all the nooks and crannies.

FWIW, I have a tool drawer full of other bucking bars...but the only ones I reach for now are the tungsten bars.

Good luck,
Mike

Thanks. But I'm not sure how you'd use a squeezer here. The area I'm talking about is the somewhat triangular layout on the forward and aft bulkheads of the tower on the bottom attaching to the WD822.

I'm wondering if it would have been better to do these before installing the towers? Even with the tower mod it is very hard to get a good angle on these.

Has anyone ever used Cherry max's there?