Mohammed

Patron
Hi,

I came to the point where I have to rivet my first skin, the vertical stab skin to the front spar assembly. The instructions tells you exactly along what lines you should sequence the riveting.

But based on your experience should I do one side, close it and then flip over. Or should I rivet few and then rivet the same rivets on the other side and move on?

I just finished my vertical stabilizer. In my case, I set all the rivets on one side and then flipped it over and did the other side. I think that works fine.

Put in a simple jig

I found it easiest to make a simple jig to hold the stabilizers, elevators upright. If you read ahead in the manual you will see a fixture used for the wing leading edges. The older instructions had you make v-blocks to cradle the empennage parts while riveting. Using the "cradle" allows you to have both sides of the skin clecoed together, ensuring the skins are aligned, and you can rivet one side without the risk of skin shifting. The cradle also helps provide more rivet control. Works very well.

Mohammed,
When I riveted my HS I went along with the plans. When I got to the end and riveted up the rear spar, I squeezed all the rivets along one surface (top or bottom I can't remember now) first, then the other. What I ended up dealing with is, all the rivets on the second surface would not fall into their holes. I had to ream almost every hole with the #40 drill to get them to go.
Since then every time I rivet an assembly together I take the time to drop a rivet into a hole on the opposite side from which I'm working to make sure everything is still nicely centered before proceeding. This has worked out well for me ever since.
Good luck
Tom

Thank you all guys for the inputs. The jig or cradle seems to be a good idea, it'll come handy during HS assembly as well.