IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm working on the forward fuselage, pretty much following the manual. I've matchdrilled and clecoed the firewall side flanges (stainless steel) to the side skins.

My question is, should I go ahead now and drill the bottom firewall flange to the bottom skin now? The manual doesn't really seem to say when to do this.

The bigger question is, aren't these rivets used for the the cowl attach? Is it best to drill / dimple all 3 firewall flanges and leave them clecoed until fitting the cowl?

Last question - if it matters I'm planning on milspec fasteners. I believe I will have to make a 0.040 doubler. I assume it goes on in place of the Vans hinge, much later in construction?

Thanks for any help,

Seal and Cleco

Dave,
When I did mine a little while back, I drilled all the match drilled all the holes. If memory serves, there is one hole on the bottom skin that gets drilled out larger. I don't have the plans in front of me to confirm. Anyway, when I put the side and bottom skins on for riveting, I used a firewall sealer and clecoed them back to the firewall. They remain that way today and I'm working on finishing up the ribs behind the FW.

Hope that helps.

Hi Paul - it does help... but to be sure, you put the firewall back on with sealant, but you didn't rivet any of the side or bottom skin to firewall flange rivets yet? Those get done later, when the cowl is mounted?

Still slightly confused :confused:

Dave,
That's the way I'm planning. I'm using MilSpec fasteners on at least the firewall to cowl connection and will be making a strip for them to be riveted with firewall and side/top skins.

When I put the sealant in, I put a cleco in every hole. Pretty much just like the fuel tanks.

Last edited: