cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I have a pneumatic squeezer, and a rivet gun, but seem to have a situation that comes up enough that I appear to be missing the correct tool.

What should one use when you have a lot of space looking at the rivet from the side, but very limited space when looking from either end.

In case that wasn't clear, imagine looking into a 12" pipe, and you need to set a rivet in the center of the pipe, but 6" inside the edge.

In my case, I was riveting the front seat anchor (F-814HPPX, DWG 76, Forward Seat Belt Attach.) in an RV-8. So I have lots of access from the side of the rivet (up), but very little on either side.

Bad rivets hear could end up giving me a lobotomy. :eek:

I used aviation pull rivets, but to your question - an alligator squeezer is what you are looking for. They don't have adjustable sets, though, they use spacers to set the crush dimension.

Doesn't work

A long reach "no hole" yoke will give you about 4"

Sully -- I have one. It doesn't help. I can't get the body of the squeezer on either side. It is close in the center well, but isn't full parallel, and it bends the rivets over. And it won't fit between outboard of the part, because there is not enough space.

Bill - I think you hit it. Sky Geek has one for $265. I hate them for usually being overpriced. I found a new squeezer (not just the yoke) for $375 on eBay. Will shop some more first, but that appears to be the ticket.

A trick that some firearms builders have used for a cheap alligator squeezer is to buy a set of bolt cutters and grind the jaws to allow squeezing rivets. Do a google search for AK building and rivet squeezing; you'll find some guides. They work on steel rivets; shouldn't be any problem squeezing aluminum ones.

I bet instead of grinding you could drill the jaws to accept standard squeezer rivet sets.

This might be your most cost effective method if you only have a few rivets to squeeze and can't justify the expense of a real squeezer.

If it's that close I would go with the cherrymax the properties are equal or better to a solid. Alligator squeezers are good in some applications but have the same problem as the C squeeze with body interference in tight areas.