lr172

Well Known Member
I will soon be riveting on the Fwd top skin. I am wondering if I can buck all the top rivets without bending down and clecoing both side portions to minimize the time on my back. Practice tells me to Cleco it down completely while riveting, but wondering if I lifted one side up to get my arm under there will I create any problems.

I didn't do my wings, but the instructions call for a similar approach; riveting your way closed.

I appreciate learning how others have approached this.

Larry

Larry, I haven't done my Fwd top skin yet, but I recently did the Aft top skin in this manner. I clecoed just the top and left the sides open, so I could reach in from standing at the side of the plane and buck all those rivets before crawling into the fuselage to buck the rest. I had a helper on the rivet gun for the whole job, but this way I spent less time inside the fuselage on my back. It turned out great! I don't think you'll have any problems. I plan on doing the Fwd top skin the same way when the time comes.

P1000806%20(Small).JPG

P1000811%20(Small).JPG

P1000815%20(Small).JPG

Here's the page on my web site with more pictures and more details:

Riveting on Top Aft Skin

Right on Bruce...I did it the same on the aft skin but had some of the froward skin rivited in place between the hinges on my Tip Up while fitting the Canopy to help stabilize the sub panel movement.
Jack

I have two 10" Dynons in the panel and I was able to get almost all the top rivets in working thru the holes after pulling them out.

I have two 10" Dynons in the panel and I was able to get almost all the top rivets in working thru the holes after pulling them out.

Same here, did mine shortly after Mike did his. I did the center rivets first without the "wings" clecoed all the way down, and then worked my way outward from center until there was no more room to reach in under the wings. Cleco it all down the rest of the way, you can get most of the remainder from the cockpit, what is left becomes a 2-person job. Like Mike I also have 2 10" Dynons that made it easier.

Larry-
I did like you propose. Just cleco as many as I could while still allowing my arms under the side to buck. Then only had to be inside the fuse to do the side-most rivets.
Have fun. It's a nice feeling to be doing the last riveting isn't it?!

Thanks for all of the help here guys. It's exciting to be entering the "final turn." I hope to be in Phase I in May or June.

Larry