RFazio

Well Known Member
Ok this is not about my RV brakes. It is a different plane that has regular drum brakes. We tried riveting the linings and broke one. It cracked at the rivet hole. I guess we put too much force driving the rivets. Anyone have any suggestions. I ordered a new lining and also the dies too use a hand squeezer. Any help from those more experienced would be appreciated. I asked here because of the wealth of knowlege on this board.

The use of a proper tool for setting the brass rivets for brakes is what is needed. Otherwise trouble will follow as you have discovered. If you don't have the right tool use very little pressure and make sure that the pressure to set the rivet is at right angles to the shaft of the rivet.

Tips on brake lining.

I've been much more successful with the hand squeezer than the hammering method. With the squeezer, we form the face of the rivet perfectly and spread the rivet equally.

Banging with a hammer is less precise. If banging is reqd, try not to bash it too hard and potentially form cracks in the brake lining. Also, make sure the surface is clean and smooth before relining.

Don't give the lining a reason to crack such as an irregular surface. When I worked at a repair shop in Brooklyn a million years ago, those were his words.

Best of luck.