mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
About a month ago I placed an online order for a machined canopy handle from Rivethead Aero. I didn't hear anything about it for many weeks, so last week I emailled them to ask what was up. I didn't get a response to my email, so today I called the number on their website and got a message that "this mailbox is full" and was disconnected. Does anybody know if they are still a going concern? Those canopy handles look neat, and I was thinking of shelling out for one of the Silver Bullet steering links they sell, but not if I can't contact them.

mcb

Matt,

I hope so :eek: , I have $124 out there for some RV-10 latches and trim brackets, about three weeks ago I ordered them. I originally mailed a check and it came back as address unknow :confused: , but I when called Dave he said the address had changed, I went to the site and noticed the RV-10 section was up and running and ordered them on line. I have not tried to call him again but my email last week went unanswered, I believe he has an uncle building a -10 who put out his contact info (cell phone) on the Matronics list. I'll see if I can hunt that number down again or he may even monitor this forum and respond. They put out a video on you tube last month to show how well their RV-10 door latches work so I assume ($124 worth of assumption) :rolleyes: that they are just busy...

I'm going to post to the matronics list and see what I get there and respond back to my favorite place, right here :D .

Why not roll your own?

mburch said:
Those canopy handles look neat,
mcb

You can make your handle look like that in about 30 minutes. Basically, all you need is your sanding wheel, a glass of water, sandpaper and some polish.
Just grind it down to the shape you want, using the sanding wheel. (Dunk it in the water whenever it gets hot so you can handle it.) Once you have a good shape, then sand it smooth by hand and then use some aluminum polish to shine it up.
I did mine and it looks as good as the one you can buy...assuming you can get it.

Actually I have the recessed, locking door handles, I polished them myself if that counts ;) I ordered the latch pin recepticles and magnetic pins for the doors and the trim bracket for the elevator trim cable to access plate connection instead of the welded nuts :( Van's supplies.

I got several replys about Dave at Rivethead, everyone says he is about a month out on delivery after the order is recieved, but guys have been getting their stuff as recently as last week. :D

All mentioned that they he is just slow to respond to inquires, mainly because they are not providing the parts as a main business but in their spare time, while working their "day jobs".

I can live with that especially after seeing the quality of the stuff they sell. No bad things or negative comments, I didn't expect any either but figured I give a shout out to see if anyone else was experiencing problems.

If I had access to a bridge mill and a lathe I would do my own, on the next RV I will budget that in my tool costs, which will equate to the same tools cost cost :eek: as this build because I already have everything else!!

I received my handle and "flap" push rods from them early June,,, real nice stuff... took awhile to get it though. Worth the time, as long as he's still in business.

Mike

Matt, Dave is TERRIBLE with communications!

I left SEVERAL messages for him and in his leisure, he replied.

I got my stuff. It is EXCELLENT quality, but you will wait a long time and then one day... it arrives.

Leave him messages (PLURAL). He will finally respond.

Frustrating, I know.

I am like you. Just call me and TELL ME what is up! I hate being in the dark. I am big on customer service. It is important to me.

:eek: CJ

I placed an order back at the beginning of June. After several emails and forwarding him the paypal receipt a couple of times, I received an email that they were shipping and my RV-10 handles and door blocks arrived on Monday. It was kind of a pain having to follow up so much, but they're absolutely beautiful.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Well, I sent another email today, for whatever that's worth. Can't leave a phone message because the voicemail box is still full. I hope I either get the item I paid for, or I get my money back.

On the bright side, I had a small snafu with an order I placed with Avery that was resolved quickly and to my complete satisfaction this week. Can't say enough about how great those folks are. The homebuilding community needs more businesses cut from the Avery mold.

mcb

Everytime I check into a shipment it shows up or reveals itself. :cool:

I just received a Quantum shipping message that the parts have shipped and will be delivered Friday....so yes they are still up and running. :p

Rivethead Repsonse time

I also ordered the lever and the bullet for the tailwheel. I did not hear back from him when I e-mailed, but the product did show up and I love it. I think Dave has another job and does this on the side. If you are in a hurry, forget it. I will be at Oshkosh if you want to see what they look like, 203HW.

Give Dave a Break

Dave is a good friend of mine he is very very busy... I promise you he is still in business. He just got new equpment and a new shop and on top of that a full time job. I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he was working crazy hours and in the shop until who knows when on sundays and saturdays trying to get all the parts made add on top of that a wife and family life and he is just a little busy :rolleyes: Give him some time I promise you will love what you get :D

Same here, Dave is busy but the stuff comes.. Don't worry he'll have it coming. It is well worth the wait.. Real nice workmanship. Chuck

Just to follow up on this... I did eventually receive the part I ordered. I hope they continue to improve their customer service issues, because the quality of the product looks great.

cheers,
mcb

3 months and still waiting

Well its been 3 months and im still waiting for my parts. This guy billed me $200 for my parts just days after I ordered them. Ive called and emailed only to get superficial "ive been busy theyre almost done" answers. Are there any people out there who have ordered parts before july 10? wtf...

rivethead

Guys we have also been waiting for parts about 3 months now . Sent certified mail from Australia and got a email that he was sending parts but that was weeks ago and nothing. Now chasing up credit refund.

**** poor business!

regards Chris

Now I understand...

After reading a very positive review of the Rivet-Head door guides for the RV-10 I tried to order them. A friend warned that my plane would be flying before I got them (given his own experience). Like everyone else here, I left several voice-mails but never got a response. Oh well doors are done now.

Just as bad (OK, worse) are the Andair folks (in the UK). I purchased their replacement gas caps at Sun n Fun. They promised to have them shipped within four to five days. Weeks later I had not received them so I sent them several emails but never got a response (I know they were reading them since I got the read-receipts). Two months later after threatening to report them to Visa they called me and profusely apologized and offered me a 10% discount for my trouble. They promised that I would have my gas caps in a few days.

Still don't have 'em. I have since sold the RV-8 and will be flying an RV-10 soon.

Like Rivet Head Aero, they make beautiful stuff -- but apparently see customer service and responsiveness as an un-necessary evil.

Sorry for venting.

Bruce

Last edited:
Well, I shoulda read these posts before I ordered my flap pushrods. Back in November. Still not here. I did get a few "they'll be out soon blah blah blah" emails back in December. Nope. The latest, several weeks ago, was "I'll send them out this week and refund the money...you shouldn't have to wait that long." Guess what? No product, no refund, no longer answering emails or replying to voicemails.

I'm *this close* to registering a complaint with PayPal. Really awful customer service so far. Not happy.

Well, I think we are all s*****d now. His website is no longer active so I suspect he is out of business.

Website still up but PayPal says he cannot receive money now. Anyone know if they are still in business?

I would strongly recommend taking a look at http://iflyrv10.com/ for RV-10 specific parts. They have many of the same products that Rivethead has and actually ship!

No affiliation except for being a very satisfied customer.

Bob

It took a while to get my stuff but it was perfect. I think I got my last piece back in January. Probably doesn't help but the product is good.

I will echo the recommendation to go to iflyrv10.com. Steve Dinieri is really great to work with and has some really nice products. However, I never had any problem with Rivethead Aero, either. Ordered from them a couple of times and had delivery in a reasonable amount of time.