TThurston

Well Known Member
The Empenage instructions go into great detail about how to do a riveted trailing edge. The -9 instructions for riveting the rudder say to "check constantly that the trailing edge is not bending one way or the other". The instructions for setting the rivets to final size say "again checking constantly".

So what if one of your checks shows you that you're starting to get a slight bend? What do you do at that point? The instructions say to check, but they give no hint of what to do if one of your checks shows you something is going wrong. Any hints from you experienced builders?

Last edited:
The force from the rivet gun is what can cause the TE to bend, if it is starting, shoot the rivets from the other side of the TE--------which is what you are supposed to do on every other one IIRC.

It is a balancing act from side to side.

When I riveted my TE after starting the rivets with the back-rivet plate and set I switched to using my avery swivel set and a large handheld back-rivet bucking bar. It worked great and gave a very smooth flat surface. I used a straight-edge to check my progress. If the TE started to bend I would just switch sides.

Last edited:
I pro-sealed the trailing edge, while clecoed to a fairly thick walled aluminum square bar, let it sit for a couple of days. It came out very straight. I back riveted every tenth rivet or so like the instructions say, but just enough to set them. Then I added rivets in between, again setting them a little bit. I took my time setting the rivets, each a little at a time, and all from the same side. It never showed any sign of bending, and ended perfectly straight. I think the pro- seal pretty much prevents any movement, and I had the gun turned down pretty low, you dont need very much pressure for back riveting.