Robert M

Well Known Member
Hi gang! My builder number is 91398. I cannot find on the plans or in the instructions a mention of what type/size/length rivet to use when riveting the main ribs of the flaps to the flap spar. I'm planning to use the AN470AD4-4's because that's what is used for the nose rib to spar. Does anyone out there with a newer kit see this on their plans?

Thanks,

Robert

Stick a rivet through the hole. Measure what's sticking out the other side. If there's 1.5 X the diameter sticking out, you have the proper rivet.

I recommend what Mel says - there have been situations where the rivet callout seemed incorrect when I (or my riveting partner du jour) looked at what was sticking out and changed to a different size. I've even trimmed down a couple of slightly long rivets. Other builders have had the same scenarios - this will be a good exercise in understanding and eyeballing rivet size before riveting. While great, Van's plans aren't perfect.

different callouts

Robert, looking at my vintage April, 2007 preplans DWG 14 has different sizes of AD4-x rivet for them ribs. It all depends on how many different pieces are being held together. AD4-4's for straight nose ribs to spar, AD4-5's for nose rib-spar-main ribs. The longest ones are AD4-7's where the inboard angle-spacer-spar joints.

Hope this helps

Robert, looking at my vintage April, 2007 preplans DWG 14 has different sizes of AD4-x rivet for them ribs. It all depends on how many different pieces are being held together. AD4-4's for straight nose ribs to spar, AD4-5's for nose rib-spar-main ribs. The longest ones are AD4-7's where the inboard angle-spacer-spar joints.

Hope this helps

Thanks all! I received an answer from Joe Blank at Van's. He said that he couldn't find a call-out for that particular application either, but the same size is used for both the nose ribs. Both the nose ribs and the main ribs are made from the same thickness of material so they use the same size rivet when it's only the rib (nose or main) and the spar. All of the other rivet size call-outs are on the plans.

Thanks again gang.

Mike H - Thanks for the link to the rivet size calculator!