AX-O

Well Known Member
Guys I need to rivet the -5 piano hinge to the bottom cowl. The instructions say to rivet it however; they don?t give the rivet spacing. I started with a one inch spacing (on the same line) then researched a little a found that some people were riveting in somewhat of a ?V? profile (kind of like ? , ? , ? , ? , ?). Is there a preferred way due to the fact that the -5 hinge is so wide?

Axe,

why rivet it at all? I'd scuff it and bond it using epoxy and micro. Use the 1 inch rivet spacing for the clecos to clamp it while glueing.

Axe,

why rivet it at all? I'd scuff it and bond it using epoxy and micro. Use the 1 inch rivet spacing for the clecos to clamp it while glueing.

:confused: I guess I was just following directions for once.

Last night I riveted the third of the the four long hinges on my SJ cowl. I used 1" spacing just like the Van's instructions says and lined the top and bottom holes up. You won't notice the rivets once it's painted.

I also epoxied the hinge in place AND ran a strip of fiberglass along the entire hinge on the inside. Yea, that's probably overkill but I wanted to play around a little bit with laying and wetting fiberglass in an inconspicuous location.

They seem pretty secure.

Last edited: