acam37

Well Known Member
I am in the process of rebuilding a -4 that suffered damage from a hangar collapse. All the damaged areas have been removed and now I'm ready to start putting it back together. What size rivets are needed for the f-405 and f-406 "A" frame formers and the row that goes along the top longeron skins? I am also looking for the size for the rear turtle deck skin. I've ordered a bunch of 4-4 and 4-6's. I think the turtle deck is going to be a 3-?. I got the plans with he plane, but being 23 years old they are in really bad condition and I'm having a hard time reading them.

im not sure exactly which rivets you are looking for but, the turtle deck to longeron shows 4-6 and the skins to the frames show 3-3.5 on my prints.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I would highly recommend buying a set of new RV-4 preview plans from Van's.....they will be current and show you everything you need. I'm using a set right now for installing the new (thicker) firewall weldments. Keeps me from fighting the curling of the original plans. :D

Thanks, I have considered ordering a new set of plans. The ones I have were used for the 5 years it took to build the plane and are really beat up and water stained. Some of them are legible but the pages I need unfortunately are not. There's not much damage to the plane. Mostly cosmetic. I just wanted to make sure I have the correct rivets before I start banging. Since I need a new canopy anyway we decided to remove the turtle deck (1) to thoroughly inspect the tail section and (2) convert it to a fastback. I'm going to need a complete tail kit or if I'm lucky find one already built.

While you are drilling and banging away, make sure you have the newer firewall weldments....it's the #1 recommended upgrade for a -4.

Can you explain what they are? I'm a Cessna guy and this is my first real plane.

They are in the upper and lower corners on the inside of the firewall. They can be seen in this photo:
20100124032.jpg

Van's changed the design and thickness of the weldments in the mid 90's. Here is a thread that talks about them. You can also search for RV-4 weldments on this forum and find lots of great discussions about them. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=94509

Can you explain what they are? I'm a Cessna guy and this is my first real plane.

Here is a picture of the aft side my RV-9 firewall (same as the -6 & -7) prior to fitting the fuselage, the weldments are about the same and are white, powdercoated, objects in each corner. The welded tabs that face aft nestle in to the angle aluminum longerons and are riveted to them. The engine mount is bolted through these weldments, which transfers their loads to the fuselage.

(Click to enlarge)

Weldments

Thanks for the heads up. This stage of my tear down will give me the perfect time to do the mod. I've got the entire top off from the firewall back and the engine is coming off to powder coat the mount and replace the rubbers. So it's basically stripped down and opened up.

Best wishes with your project, but I really recommend you hook up with information sources in person to help you. Experienced exp-ab (metal specifically) builders and/or experienced exp-ab-friendly A&Ps. If you're ready to start back together and you're asking about rivet size, you need to be reaching out for some non-virtual internet help in addition to doing a lot more online research.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't reply. Good luck!

While Van's will sell you a set of the full-size plans, the preview plans are a considerably cheaper set that comes with the builder's manual and a part's list, all in a binder. Very nice package and definitely worth having. The fold-out drawings are readable.

I think they are $50 now.

Their intent is to let a prospective builder see what it takes to build one of these.

Dave

Van's sold me a replacement set of full size plans for $50 a few years back when I was rebuilding my RV4 after an accident. Just call and ask...,

Best wishes with your project, but I really recommend you hook up with information sources in person to help you. Experienced exp-ab (metal specifically) builders and/or experienced exp-ab-friendly A&Ps. If you're ready to start back together and you're asking about rivet size, you need to be reaching out for some non-virtual internet help in addition to doing a lot more online research.
With all do respect, I understand how to figure out rivet sizes, but I've been out of the loop a few years. (5 years navy as airframes mechanic. Fleet and AIMD) and know how to buck a rivet. I just wanted to be sure that I go by what the plans stated. This project is well within my experience level. The only real damage was to the tail, canopy and the f-405/406 formers. The formers are already fabricated and cleco'd in place. I'm waiting for aircraft spruce to deliver the rivets I already ordered.