JeffZn

I'm New Here
Hi all,

An RV-7 newbie here so please don't hesitate to set me straight. I apolgize now if I did something wrong but I searched the forum on what I will ask and came up empty.

This years trip to Airventure promises to be a memorable one when I place an order for RV-7 tail kit. I'm also going to be ordering the tools. In my preview plans, I notice the plane is put together with mostly 3/32" and 1/8" flat and round head rivets. I struggled to find any uses of 5/32" and 3/16" rivets. I also noticed that Cleaveland Tool only includes a 1/8" rivet set (straight and double offset) in their kit and if you go with their pneumatic sqeezeer upgrade, they include only a 1/8" cupped set.

So my question is what rivet gun sets along with flat and cupped squeezer sets will I need for the entire project? I just want to make sure I don't buy something that I won't need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff Zink
RV-7

For the gun:

Flush set (a swivel set is nice also)
Straight universal 1/8
Straight universal 5/32
Double offset Universal 1/8
Backrivet Set

Squeezer:

Flush Set
1/8 universal

Various dimple dies, 3/32, 1/8 a couple of each since you make have to grind one down.
#8 screw dimple
#6 screw dimple (not required per Vans, but useful for aftermarkek stuff)

Probably more, I'm still thinking

Other Dimple Dies

3/32 Dies for use in a pop rivet tool
3/32 Dies on a vice grip
Rivet set with a drilled tip to accept a dimple die

Should only need 5/32 if you mess up an 1/8 hole.

And don't forget the microstop countersink cutter with 3/32, 1/8, #6 and #8 bits.

There are a few places where a #10 dimple die is useful.

One piece of advice...get a 120 degree countersink (for #30 or 1/8" holes) for the various flush-mounted pulled rivets (CS4-4, etc.). I might also invest in a 120 degree dimple die, as well, for the times when you can't countersink but can dimple the part.

Kim Goldin makes a fantastic set with a super precision CNC setup, he just sent me a set to try out and I highly recommend them. I used his yokes, squeezer and rivet/dimple dies on my RV-10 and they are very, very nice. I have no interest, just a happy customer.

http://www.rivettools.com/

Kim Goldin makes a fantastic set with a super precision CNC setup, he just sent me a set to try out and I highly recommend them. I used his yokes, squeezer and rivet/dimple dies on my RV-10 and they are very, very nice. I have no interest, just a happy customer.

http://www.rivettools.com/

rick you ever get the chance to talk to kim again you might mention to him his background on his web page is so distracting i can barely read the main text. maybe a solid color or the rivet machine at 95% fade would be less intrusive.

I saw that. I spoke to him last week and he is in the process of upgrading the site. He had been under the weather for a few months and was in the process of catching up with work stuff. I should have mentioned that his site was a bit hard on the eyes..:eek: