jhearnsberger

I have a few of the dome shaped rivets that the die slipped on while riveting. The factory head has c shaped indentions. Some have two or three c shaped indentions.

Should I replace these rivets?

Thanks,

Jake

Most likely not if they aren't too severe. Got pics?

They're probably best left alone instead of drilling, damaging the hole further, and then re-riveting.

Keeping the rivetset tight and square with the head will keep it from happening.

I'll bet you're fine.

Last edited:
Smiley Prevention

A few tips:

Use a small piece of duct or masking tape on the face of your rivet set. The added friction helps keep the set from sliding on the factory head. You'll only get one or two rivets per piece of tape, but it's worth the effort.

A commercial solution is called "Snap Socs." These are plastic caps that fit around the rivet set. Not cheap, but they last through several rivet sessions and work well. See Avery:

http://www.averytools.com/p-884-snap-socrivet-set-caps.aspx

Don't be shy about holding the gun firmly on the rivet. If you have a bucking partner you can steady the rivet set with your fingers.

Good luck
Mike

Yes sir.

rivet.JPG

Jake,

I shoot rivets for a living, and I use tape on my rivet sets. I personally would replace those. Just be careful drilling them out. You're letting the set bounce, like Transporter said. And don't remove the gun until your finger is off the trigger.

Just One More Thing

Jake:
In addition to tape you might also try using a heavier bucking bar for the larger rivets. Shouldn't take more than a few pulses from your impact gun to properly set a rivet, assuming pressure is OK.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Yeah, a couple of those are pretty rough. I'd probably replace the worst ones.

Phil

Hold the gun tight to the rivet until the noise has stopped and set a lower pressure if you can't hold it straight at the current pressure.

Someone messed with my gun pressure once and I could not set a rivet to save my life; it took me a while to figure out a visitor had "helped" me. All my rivets were bad!

A newbie here myself. The first rivets I did with the practice kit were brutal and I couldn't figure out why. A local builder was nice enough to come over and give a little guidance and he turned the pressure WAY down from where it was at the gun and things got manageable. If you can find someone there to help take advantage of it.