david grantham

I'm New Here
Are Cherry "Q" rivets structural?

Aircraft Spruce catalog says they are,but the Cherry Catalog says they are not.
I compared the shear and tensile strengths of the MS and CC series Cherry Q rivets. The ratings actually exceed that of the Cherry Max rivet.

The Q rivets are a lot cheaper than the Max.

I want to use the Q to make some repairs on the elevator of my Storch,which is an experimental aircraft. I was thinking that perhaps the reason Cherry says it is not a structural rivet is that it is not "approved data" for structural repairs on certificated aircraft.

Thanks,
David :confused:

Rivets

Always go with what the manufacture say. always use a rivet that is as good our better then the orgrinal for repair our replacement.as good our better then will wrok for your purpose.Jim W A&P

tech specs

I'd say go with what Jim just said. I visited an aircraft company in Georgia that puts together their aircraft with rivets that are hollow on the inside. They were the "structural" rivets said the company man... and one of the company guys got a little defensive when I asked about the rivets.... They seem to be working so far I guess. If anything happens... you want the tech specs on your side... or what the company states to be appropriate for your application.
Best
Brian