Jskyking

Well Known Member
This afternoon,I was putting the finishing touches on the rib to rear spar attachment points and there was a AN426-4-8 rivet that wasn?t sitting quite flush in the countersink on the fork. So, I drilled out the suspect rivet and somewhere in the process, drilled out the hole a slight bit more than needed. When I re-squeezed the rivet the head didn?t sit flush in the countersink. I drilled it out , thinking that I could either use an Oops rivet in the hole or drill out the hole to the next size AN426-5-8.
Looking online, I didn?t see any 4-8 Oops rivets. I think that I?m faced with going to a 5-8 or accepting having the rivet head stand slightly proud in the countersunk hole.
Hopefully, someone will have a better solution to preclude stepping up to a 5-8 and still being able to set the rivet flush in the countersink. Thanks

Note-
The suspect rivet position is circled in green.

op2.png

I remember using some half-size rivets on my 14 for the rear spar aileron support bracket SB. I think they were 9/64".. Worked well, since the original rivet makes the hole bigger when squeezed anyway...only problem was they were sold in 1 lb batches only...can't remember the company, but there are a few out there

I found this one:

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/3501.htm

Last edited:
Never drill through a rivet! Search here for proper removal technique or the EAA has some good video on how to do it. It is very difficult to drill out a rivet and not damage the hole if you drill through it.

Never drill through a rivet! Search here for proper removal technique or the EAA has some good video on how to do it. It is very difficult to drill out a rivet and not damage the hole if you drill through it.

:confused: Google EAA Rivet removal and the first thing that comes up is drilling it out. lol
http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/5728392524001/drilling-out-a-rivet?autoStart=true&q=removing%20rivets
It is also spelled out in the Van's manual to drill them out.
There are even fancy drills you can get to do it. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rivetremoval.php?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjTo6Kfn6sq9w8bSYxC68Xj4vTMVq0oDcHBtR9a4_wmoIriXvGr3FwYaAqinEALw_wcB
Even pulled rivets get drilled out after punching out the stem.

How else other than drilling would you do it?? :confused:

Last edited:

Oh wait, did you mean don't drill all the way through it? That would make sense. My bad. :eek:

Last edited:
Oh wait, did you mean don't drill all the way through it? That would make sense. My bad. :eek:

Yes
Easy trap. It?s always been referred to as ?drill out?. What else could that mean right?
Most of us made that mistake and ruined a few holes before we understood ?drill out? isn?t drill through.

One guarantee: You won?t do that again.

Yes
Easy trap. It?s always been referred to as ?drill out?. What else could that mean right?
Most of us made that mistake and ruined a few holes before we understood ?drill out? isn?t drill through.

One guarantee: You won?t do that again.

And especially don't ever try to drill out a pulled rivet before punching out the mandrel.
When building my light box kit I was impatient waiting for my new 1/16 punch to arrive and... luckily I had a couple larger rivets on hand. :rolleyes:

It is also spelled out in the Van's manual to drill them out.
You shouldn't drill through any of the shank portion of the rivet with a net diam drill bit......

If you read the process in Section 5 of the manual it is very specific and not just simply "drilling it out" with a drill bit the same diameter as the hole.