cyberpilot10

Well Known Member
hello all

I am working on the VS attaching the bottom rib's to the front spar. Once again the enemy of good enough has bit me in the butt. I drilled out an an470 rivet in the corner and had to put such and angle on the drill I elongated the hole. should have left the first rivet alone. I put a smile in the top by not letting the rivet gun stop before I pulled it away. so now that the hole is messed up, as soon as I start to shoot the next rivet it starts to bend over. I have a set of oops rivets from Avery but none of them are Universal head...any suggestions would be appreciated. Not to mention the marks I had to file out from the drill chuck hitting the rib flange.....man I should have left that first rivet alone....

9i9t20.jpg

I have some 470 rivets....#5 and even 6's...if you would like I will send you some..pm me your addr.

Try using the drill stops...I learned my lesson about the drill chuck hitting the metal the hard way, too, and it only took one time before I learned to use the stops (and not just for drilling out rivets, but in those places where there is a part, usually skin, behind the part you're drilling).

1/64 oversize rivet

You could use a NAS1242AD4-4 rivet which is 1/64 oversize from the normal 1/8 diameter. They are available from:

Genuine Aircraft Hardware

The -4 may be a bit short, so you may have to buy -6 length and trim them down (-5s are not available on their site).

Good luck!

pre-squeeze your rivet to fill the hole. You might need it a bit longer. Then install the rivet and set it..............

Gasman

pre-squeeze your rivet to fill the hole. You might need it a bit longer. Then install the rivet and set it..............

you might be on to something.....I will give it a try tomorrow....I can see it working for me. I guess now I will be able to sleep tonight.

Thanks A Lot
Rich Denton

thanks

I have some 470 rivets....#5 and even 6's...if you would like I will send you some..pm me your addr.

I am going to try the pre squeeze method first,,,,I really feel like it could work for me. If it does not I will drop you a pm.... thank you for your time.

Regards
Rich Denton

Put in a screw. If the hole is elongated, a rivet will not expand equally in all directions. With a screw you have no edge distance problems and no one will ever see it there.

Gasman

Thanks for your input, it worked just fine for me. Now installing the VS skin with no delays....

Man I like this forum

Regards
Rich Denton

ps DR my check is in the mail to you, thanks for providing such a place for all of us.....wow I finally feel like I am apart of US...I hope I will be able to give back!!!!!

...any suggestions would be appreciated. Not to mention the marks I had to file out from the drill chuck hitting the rib flange.....man I should have left that first rivet alone....

Rich,

The next time you need to drill in a tight corner like that, a 12" long drill bit will be your friend. Well worth the small investment.