KayS

Well Known Member
:confused:Hi,

right now i rivet the bottom wing skins to the understructure and i'm a bit confused about the drawings. on the wing drawing it says that i should rivet everey second hole at the most inboard rib to the skins, the rest will be connected later to the fuse. there is a pointer to drawing 38. but regarding drawing 38, you leave only every third hole unriveted to connect it later on to the fuse...

which one is valid? do i miss here something? i don't want to drill out a couple of rivets later...

thank you very much for any help...

Kay

hey ryan, thank you. the question is if you did it right. :) the bottom wing skins will be connected to the prepunched fuse bottom skin 776. does that skin has the same pattern?

Kay

the "lip" of the 776 to where the bottom of the wing will attach is not predrilled.

P1010478.JPG

I believe these are attached to the wing fairing anyways..will have to look over the plans again when I get home...

8-15-07-005w.jpg

8-18-07-014w.jpg

also...looking at the pics again...the top and bottom skins are different. the top is every 3rd..the bottom is every other. see pic above..which I stole from chad's site.

thank you ryan. if the 776 fuse skin is not prepunched for the bottom wing skins... then i guess you can do what you want here...

Kay

Your are going to put a nutplate on the wing rib. You want the hole you drill in the fuse bottom to be centered up on a rivet. I screwed up and riveted every hole on the bottom. No big deal, just drew my lines and it drilled the bottom skin and the wing rib almost perfectly.

When you fit the wings to the fuselage, you will see how the fairing on the fuselage bottom overlaps the wing. This is attached to the wing with screws. Nut plates are installed in the rivet locations that are ommitted on the wing rib. These nutplates and screws hold the lower fuselage wing fairings to the bottoms of the wings. All this needs to be fitted up after you set the wing sweep and incidence. Then the skins are marked and drilled. Do both the upper and lower fairings when the wings are set.

Hope this helps,

Roberta

ok... i understand, i will put some nutplates on the wing ribs later on to attach it with screws to the bottom fuse. so, on the bottom wing skins i leave every other hole or every third one unriveted?

sorry, but i'm still,confused, although in could rivet the most inboard rib much later....

thank you very much...

Kay

Kay,

You really do not need to put any rivets in for now. Cleco every third for now, or you could pop a lite rivet till you deal with the fairing.

OK, now I am confused too

I think why Kay is confused is that drawing 38 shows nutplates fastening the bottom wing skin to the skin bottom fuse skin, every 3rd hole. Since Van does not provide a section view with the fairing, I assume that the fairing is also using these holes for attachment? So the question which nobody has answered is, are the nutplates installed every other hole, as implied by the wing skin drawing which shows rivets in every other hole, or are they installed in every THIRD hole, as shown on drawing 38? (Or are the nutplates installed BETWEEN the prepunched holes in the wing rib)? A picture is worth a thousand words, does anybody have one of this detail - FINISHED?

ok. i got an answer from van's. ken says the spacing on the fuse bottom skin is 2,5", so the riveting pattern in the wing bottom skin "should" be very other hole.

Kay