Super excited to have finished the first half of the horizontal stab on my -9A today - until I realized that I riveted my HS-904 ribs to the skin using a slightly long rivet.

I used AN426AD3-4 instead of AN426AD3-3.5

Is this difference in length a big deal / do I need to drill them all out??

Longer rivets are just harder to drive, so if they look good, you did good. Build on--it's just an airplane!

Bob Kelly

I think you'll be fine. Do they look pretty?

Most are pretty, a few are average, I drilled out & re-pounded the ugly ones (and one became a 4 but you can't really tell)

The skin around the center nose rib is all smiles, but I came up with a way to avoid that on the 2nd half and I've read that most people pay a little extra for bodywork around that area anyway...

Thanks for the help guys.

Wow, if that's your first big mistake you're doing OK! Try drilling holes SMALLER after you've drilled them too big! Now that's a big mistake.
Clay "Cookie Monster" Cook

no problem

You will find that the Vans rivet call-outs are often a bit short. Use them as guidance, but if you put the rivet in the hole and it looks short (or long) - change to a different rivet. Happens all the time.

How do the shop heads look?

If they look alright, build on. The length of the rivet used in each application is determined by the ratio of free length to shank diameter. Too short and you don't have enough material for a decent shop head. Too long, and the shank tends to buckle rather than upset. As long as they're not buckling, you're good to go.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Posting pictures would probably help everyone form a better opinion of the situation and allow us amateurs to have a learning experience!

If it's much too short or too long, you'll usually know it when you see it. For those "not sure" cases, we use this:

http://www.averytools.com/p-70-rivet-length-gauge.aspx

70.jpg