truflite

Well Known Member
I have a 2X rivet gun that, when the trigger is pulled, just sits there and makes like a buzzing noise, not much different than an electric buzzer. It takes three to four squeezes of the trigger to get it to operate correctly. I have put a few drops of tool oil into the gun thinking that the oil would free up something that might be sticking. Any ideas?

Dave Nellis

Hmm... not sure. I'd say ur going to end up having to take it somewhere to be repaired or attempt it yourself... Did u buy it new? If so, I'd also check with the company you bought it from. I got my toolkit from planetools.com, and I believe they have a lifetime warranty on their tools...

Last edited:
I bought a used 2X that did the same thing, finally came to the conclusion that it was old sticky oil inside that was loosening up as I used it and starting the stick up the mechanism. I solved the problem by turning it upside down, holding the trigger down, and squirting lacquer thinner in the air hole to thin out and dissolve the oil inside. I'm sure it didn't do the O-rings inside any favors, but at this point the only other option was disassembly and rebuild. I hooked the air up again and hit the trigger, blowing all the gunk out, and it worked fine after that.

I've also noticed with that same gun that if I overoil it (more than 2 drops) it will repeat that behavior until the oil thins out a bit - so I'm pretty sparing with the lube now. Makes me wonder if simply over-lubing the gun will produce that behavior, whether it's clean inside or not.

I will take it apart and clean it. I don't think that solvent will do any good for the tool itself. It could start to break down rubber O-rings and seals. I may have put more than just a few drops into the gun thinking more oil is better. Sounds like I won't be riveting the last bottom skin on tonight.

I'm probably doing unspeakable damage to my rivet gun but here's my solution. I get that buzz occasionally when I accidentally pull the trigger without any pressure applied against something solid. It seems like the piston inside gets jammed. I just rap the gun with the rivet set against a soft part of my workbench like I'm trying to jam the rivet set farther into the gun. Works every time.

I wouldn't do it to a new gun. This was an ebay bargain.

Last edited:
A little confused

It was my understanding that you could damage the gun by operating it without pushing it against something so they are designed not to function unless the set has pressure on it. I use the wooden edge of my workbench if I need to check operation.

Before taking it apart, load it up with thin oil or paint thinner while holding the trigger down, turn up the pressure, press the rivet set against a block & fire away. I have heard that Marvel Mystery Oil works really well for this.

If you have to send it off for repairs, send it to Avery.

They are pretty simple inside. The hard part is removing & installing the ring, the wide flat ring at the back of the barrel. My gun appeared to be pretty clean inside, but I cleaned everything up anyway and it worked fine after reassembly.