RayA

Hey all,

I was getting annoyed with having to walk over to my air compressor and use the large regulator upstream of my very long hose (which means lots of adjusting because of the residual air pressure in it) every time I changed tools, so I'm trying out a small regulator on each tool strategy.

2015_05_31_11_08_34.jpg

My rivet gun came with a flow regulator (at least that's what I think it is, since you can see right through it). So my question is, can I just ditch this flow regulator and put on the pressure regulator?

Thanks,
Ray

Regulator

I would.
I use one hose from the compressor. The end is a three way manifold. I have three regulators. Two are on swivel pigtails. One labeled "low", one "high". Harbor Fright stuff. It really cuts down on adjustments. I always check pressure before a session but it rarely changes.
The third is on my DeVilbiss paint gun. It's a really good low pressure regulator.

Yes, you can ditch the adjustable flow restrictor. I have a small regulator that stays on my rivet gun that I adjust appropriate to the rivet being driven. All of my other air tools take 90 psi so that's where I leave the compressor regulator set.

Regulator

Yes, you can ditch the adjustable flow restrictor. I have a small regulator that stays on my rivet gun that I adjust appropriate to the rivet being driven. All of my other air tools take 90 psi so that's where I leave the compressor regulator set.

That's a great way to do it too.

This is an awesome regulator. I use it on my paint gun but I'm planning to buy another one for low pressure on the rivet gun. It's always right where I set it. The scale is lower with finer graduations and the collar locks.
http://www.amazon.com/RTI-Technologies-MICRO-AIR-REGULATOR/dp/B002GK9Y1S

Well...... I will voice the dissenting view. I think both a pressure and flow regulator are useful (note: not required but useful).

The pressure regulator controls how hard the hit is, in a roundabout way.

The flow regulator controls how fast the gun repeats. In other words, is it Brrrrrrr or bam bam bam. It helps control whether the gun wants to "walk".

I used them both.

On a side note, I put quick disconnects on the small regulator so I could put it wherever and on any tool.

Maybe personal preference - try both.

Where you put the regulator is a matter of convenience. I don't like it on the gun due to flexibility in tight spaces.

The restrictors cause the tool to operate a bit differently. The restrictor will indeed limit the flow, but as it does so, the pressure downstream of it is lower - and can be the same as the regulator, BUT . . . . with the restrictor, the pressure will return to line pressure as soon as the trigger is released. This means that, if you use the tool with a full trigger pull each rivet, then the first few strokes will be at elevated pressure until that volume between the restrictor and trigger drops. So, it is the transient behavior that is different.

You might like the BANG BANG BANG BANG (of the restrictor), instead of BANG BANG BANG BANG (of the regulator).

If you like to feather the flow with the trigger is less consistent with the restrictor. Basically either device works, but it is how you like it. Functionally, I like the ramp up banging (of the regulator) rather than the ramp down banging (of the restrictor). Less hopping/walking for me. YMMV

Mini regulator

The product information on Amazon says that it weighs 15.8 oz. Is that right? It doesn't sound very small at nearly a pound.

It doesn't seem that heavy. I'm out of town or I would weigh it.
Physically, it's the same size as the Harbor Fright version.
Their model is .4 lb.

It doesn't seem that heavy. I'm out of town or I would weigh it.
Physically, it's the same size as the Harbor Fright version.
Their model is .4 lb.

OK thanks. I'll check out the Harbor Freight (love your [intentional] typo there) one.