jcaplins

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I could use some assistance from all you tool experts out there.
My rivet gun seems to have failed (pictured below). When I pull the trigger it hammers a couple times then just blow air.

Does this should like a normal problem? repairable?
I am trying to disassemble it to see if I can find anything. Anyone know how to remove the barrel (I got the snap ring off)?

IMG_9716.jpg

I believe I purchased the gun from Avery, but will need to check my receipts. There are no serial number or brand markings.

Thanks,

before you tear it all apart.....

squirt a little oil in the air inlet opening. Are you using an oiler on your air line?

squirt a little oil in the air inlet opening. Are you using an oiler on your air line?

I don't have an inline oiling system. I tried a little oil, then a lot. no help or difference in operation. I usually add a couple drops of oil every 4th or 5th working session (approximately).

I've tried different air pressures and rivet sets; no help.

If I gently pull the trigger it seems it will gently tap away all day long, but when I get to a useful hammering speed/strength it stops and just blows air.

Make sure there is not a valve that needs adjustment with a screwdriver. I had a very weak angle grinder that turned out just needed an adjustment.

The snap rig was a clue that the black part needed to come off first. With a little cursing and persuasion the black part freed up and revealed a problem. Hopefully the only problem is the broken o-ring.

IMG_5546.jpg

We'll see if I can find an o-ring locally.

Found an O-ring that will work (Delta faucet repair kit DL-15).
Unfortunatly, since the gun will operate (but still doesn't work right) without the black cover, the o-ring is not my problem. It doesn't appear that the gun can be taken apart any further (press fit perhaps?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Will this help? I can email you a copy of the Avery directions for dis-assembly, cleaning and reassembly. Check your email.
Charlie

Last edited:
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The only problem I've had with my rivet gun was when I pulled the trigger without it being pressed against something. Done it about three or four times. Symptoms were leaking air and weak hammering. My caveman fix was to hit the rivet set hard against the workbench like I was trying to jam the piston back into place. Worked every time and with no apparent ill effects. Try at your own risk.

I had a similar problem a while ago with one of my rivet guns and had it all pulled apart. There is a lock key between the teeth on the case and the barrel. Once you take that out, put an adjustable wrench on where it says "3x" and twist really hard (in the correct direction:D). I had the handle in a vice to hold it tight enough. The whole thing should come apart and you'll have all the inside pieces.

After all that work, my solution was to convert some hard earned money into one of these: http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=ATS-3X. I've been as happy as a pig in mud ever since.