Well Known Member
Anyone able to advise me if a 1x rivet gun, as against 2x or 3x, is useless or not for assembly of fuse (wing is QB).....building for first time and when its finished it will be an RV8

Thanks from Dowunder (Peter)

I have never used a 1X rivet gun but have used a 2X and found it to be virtually useless on any rivet bigger than a #3. The goal in setting a rivet is to stay on it for only 2-3 seconds with the gun. A 3X will do this and, with your regulator, you can turn the pressure down for the little rivets and increase pressure for the big guys. My whole plane was build using a 3X gun and a hand rivet squeezer especially on the glass parts.

1X nope

VH-VRN said:
Anyone able to advise me if a 1x rivet gun, as against 2x or 3x, is useless or not for assembly of fuse (wing is QB) The 1X is a hobby tool. If you use a 2, you'll still have to push your air pressure high and turn it down low when you switch to other tools. I finally decided on the three not only because pressures match, but so I didn't leave high preessure in the tank, step on high pressure hoses, uncouple high pressure fittings, and hear high pressure leaks. Because I"ll use lower pressure, the compressor is smaller. I can carry it in the car and up and down stairs. When you buy a compressor, make sure it's "wet" = you add oil to a sump. Some contractor compressors are unbelievable junk.