Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
Having trouble with squeezed rivets. These were set with a 4" no hole yoke.
9r2bzp.jpg
[/IMG]
I removed them and replaced with a 2 1/2" flange nose yoke.
2mq3zh0.jpg
[/IMG]
What do you think. Is the one on the right tractor safe

Yes, they are safe, but you might want to consider when to drill out and when to leave alone. Most rivets are OK, even when they look imperfect.

Regarding the scratches in the bend area behind the rivets. You'll want to not accidentally squeeze the bend between the web and the flange though. You can accidentally bite through the bend if your squeezer sets aren't in the right spot. Old timers like me have several sets that are ground down on one side to provide clearance in tight spots. Your scratches look OK, but it's just one more thing to worry about.

Or maybe it's just a scuff from a bucking bar, or other random occurrence.

welcome

Welcome Barney.
If you look very close you can see the top of the shop heads are tilted. Your set is slightly off perpendicular when the rivet is set. Most likely, that is why they are clinched a little.

As for safe to use...I differ to the experts. It kinda depends on what parts. Usually #4s are in structural components. If you're good a drilling, I would. If not, the possibility of further damage is not worth it. Like I said...wait for the gurus to reply.

These are 3's attaching the skin to spar on my 14a. I have become very good at removing rivets without damage..... so far.

Squeezing rivet

Hi,

looks to me like your squeezer opens up a bit, when force is applied. The two rivet set surfaces are then no longer perpenticular to the rivet and the shop head tilts a bit to the site.
My squeezer does that with -4 rivets, so I don't squeeze -4 rivets, but rather use the rivet gun.
You might want to try another squeezer.

Thilo

I ordered an extra set of flat heads from Avery and ground down one one to prevent digging in to the corners. When I used that ground down flat head I put a little metal tape on it to keep it from spinning. Worked like a champ.
Jack