fox

This weekend I blew it! While backriveting the stiffners of the left rudder, I let the skin slide off the backrivet plate & tried to set the rivet. I was left with a big bulge on the skin. Can this be fixed? If so how? I sure hate to junk the part. Thanks in advance, guys/gals.
Fox Smith
QB7 - EM

Hi Fox,

Is the part going to be painted later, if so you can dress the skin out to try and get the damage out, be careful when dressing as you are in effect stretching the metal ever so slightly, when dressing use light blows backed up by a smotth Dollie (Bucking bar) on the damaged side, use a smooth blemish free hammer face, the blows should be in a pushing action, like your trying to smear the metal with the hammer face, you should be able to get most of the damage out, you might have to drill out a few rivets to get access to the effected area. Do you have any photo's??

As an aircraft sheet metal worker for 20yrs you learn how to work the metal with lots of practice, Good luck,

Cheers,

Nick..

I did the same thing, tried to fix it and made it worse; I ended up buying a new skin. Getting it back to flat is not going to happen since you stretched the metal; if you're going to paint the airplane, fix it as best you can and use filler.

Doubler

This situation is almost identical to a project we did in aircraft structures school (US Navy). We cut out the dented area, made a patch and a doubler, and riveted it all back together. If you used some filler over the seams of the patch, you'd probably never see it.

i did the same, bought new skin, don't regret it one bit- do it now, not later

will cost just as much to fill/paint over the spot as a new skin will