Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Hey Builders!
I'm getting ready to rivit my rear horizontal stab spar and i have noticed some builders have the "shop" end on the spar side and others have it on the spar reinforcement side. Does it matter? I've seen somewhere that this was answered as a rule of thumb but I can't remember where I saw it or what the rule was. It seems to me that the rivits should be set on the underlying structure and in this case, would be the reinforcement bars getting the shop end. What say ye?

If possible the manufactured head against the thinnest material layer.

else

Whatever direction is easiest to set.

What Nate said, plus sometimes Van's calls out a specific direction in the plans (at least on the RV-10).

Thanks guys! That's what I figure too. I just don't know why some do just the opposite in this case. I suppose it realy doesn't matter with this part. Might just be the builders preference.

In believe that many builders put the manufactured head out on the rear spar for looks. Looks nice at the time, but later the elevators hide most of them anyway. Another consideration for rivet direction later in your build--if you have to drill a rivet out, would you rather drill the shop head or manufactured head? While it is possible to drill out from the shop head side, it is certainly easier drilling the manufactured head. Just my 2 cents worth.

Skyking902001
RV8 qb wings in progress

There's a Mil spec that says that, in the absence of instructions to the contrary, manufactured head goes towards the outside. I'll try to find the reference.

- John

There's a Mil spec that says that, in the absence of instructions to the contrary, manufactured head goes towards the outside. I'll try to find the reference.

- John

John,

Your comment prompted a search and I found MIL Spec MIL-R-47196A. This would definately make rivet removal easier if ever necessary.

Section 3.3.3.1 - Head direction. Unless specified on the engineering drawing or specification, the manufactured head of the rivet shall be located on
exterior surfaces.

Link to pdf:
http://mybearhawk.com/MIL-R-47196A_MI.pdf

That is really interesting and makes sense from the "drill out" perspective, but I have never heard it before.

One thing to note maybe just for internal rivets, is that you can get some funny bending or warping of the thinner material if you place the shop head there.

For me I have adopted the practice of manufactured head on the thin side. Always seats better..

Thx