Mel Penney

I'm New Here
Hello Rv Builders,

I started a 10 project. I am ready to start the riveting process.

I am however a little confused, the rivet numbers on the plans for example

AN470AD4-5 ARE NOT MARKED ON ANY OF THE DIFFERENT BAGS OF RIVETS.

ALL I HAVE IS ABOUT 50 DIFFERENT BAGS WITH DIFFERENT NUMBERS.

FOR EXAMPLE 02 27 08 I ASSUME THIS IS THE DATE THE RIVETS WERE MADE OR CAME FROM VANS.

THE OTHER NUMBER IS 1103 ( WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?????)

QUESTION: HOW DO I KNOW WHICH BAG TO OPEN OR WHICH RIVET TO USE IF THE BAGS ARE NOT RELATED OR CODED TO THE NORMAL RIVET CODES AND THE NORMAL RIVET CODES WRITTEN ON THE PLANS.

PLEASE HELP,

REGARDS,

MEL :confused:

Mel,

Included in your paperwork is a hardware list. For example, searching out Bag #1103 on the hardware list will reveal a description and number of each of the contents included in Bag 1103. Mostly the bags contain hardware such as rivets, screws, washers, etc. Heres a heads up: At times, the plans may call out a small part that you just cannot find among the pile of sheet metal parts included in your kit. At those times, refer to the hardware list and you just might find the part you are seeking.;)

It's not a bad idea to inventory those hardware bags. I bought a few parts organizers and sorted all the hardware by part number. I dunno about the -10, but the bags for the -6 tended to have parts that were hard to keep track of, especially as you empty the bag. For the major components, Vans tended to ship the rivets seperated into individual bags, but that meant that I ended up with three bags of AN427-3-3.5 rivets, for example. Easier to put them all in a single bin. On the other hand, sometimes screws and bolts came mixed together and I had to pore over the ACS catalog (which is a fair reference) to figure out which was which. Easier to sort it out all at once than go hunting for it when you're trying to accomplish a building task. Also handy is an AN hardware chart (I forget which reference book it came from) to help you figure out which part is which. Vans is very generous about rivets and you'll probably never need to get extras unless you need the 'oops' rivets but I ended up getting a bolt assortment to supplement the ones he provides, and a lot of Adel clamps. You'll also want metal stop nuts for clamping in the FWF area.

Welcome, Mel !!!

Keep that hardware list handy - you'll reference it a thousand times. I opted to keep all my parts in their sacks (after inventorying them). Others opt to sort/store everything - but I found that pretty much all the parts you'll need for a particular area of the plane are 'bagcentric'. You'll get the hang of the naming convention pretty fast.

b,
d

The only reason I suggest sorting everything is that the plans don't reference the bags (which has been a big frustration when looking for some obscure tiny piece of aluminum). So if the plans call for an AN3-5, cotter pin, castellated nut, AN960-3 washers, etc. they're easy to find. But DR is right, Vans seems to bag things for assemblies. So go with what makes sense to you; you're the one that has to find it when the time comes.

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all your help. This is the first time I used the builders help service.

It's great to have all this help from all the RV- builders.

Regards<

Mel;

I have a bunch of those plastic organizers that you can get at HD or OSH or wherever, for keeping rivets. One box has AN426's, the other has AN470's, another has pop rivets, etc. No matter which bag any rivets came in, they go into the proper slot to live with their buddies so I never have to hunt around for specific rivets (and in the case of some oddball sizes, I can see if there are enough for a particular task at a glance).

The rest of the hardware, well...for my neighbor's RV-8 project, we kept them in the original bag, or took them out of the bag and put the entire contents of the bag into a bin in one of those plastic boxes and labelled it accordingly ("Bag 832-1", e.g.). That proved to be way less than useful, and we spent quite a bit of time looking through the bins for particular bolts, nuts, whatever.

So for my RV-7A, I hung a bunch of organizers on the wall. Each one has several dozen plastic drawers that can be subdivided. All AN3-4As in a drawer together, all AN3-5As, etc. All K1100-08 platenuts together. All 960-10L washers together. You get the idea. It takes a few hours to sort all the hardware with each subkit, but *man* does it make it easier to find things.

My advice...bag the bags, sort the hardware by their actual part numbers. It'll make life way easier in the long run.

I've got to go along with the bag-the-bag theory. I sorted the vast majority of my hardware, including rivets, and it really helps not having to sort through bags to find one little nut. For rivets I used smaller plastic boxes with about 6 or 7 dividers, one box each for the major rivet types (--3 universal, -3 countersunk, -4 universal, -4 countersunk). I used a bigger box with about 24 or so spaces for the other hardware. One for washers, one for nuts, one for AN3 bolts, one for AN4, AN5, etc and so on. Over six years, this worked great.

One thing that I thought was useful, is to just go order a 1/4 pound of the most common rivet sizes and then you don't have to worrry about finding a specific size. Rivets are really cheap. If you're interested, there's a link on my web page (http://adap.com/rv7/ideas.htm) to download word docs that have 98% of the hardare lables. Just get an Avery lable sheet and print away..

Last edited:
Link doesnt work

Jim P

Your link doesnt work to the hardware list, you get to the page but the documents dont open. Thanks in advance for posting the hardware list.