prkaye

Well Known Member
This (BSPQ-5-4) appears to be the only -5 blind rivet available from Vans. I mangled a hole for a -4 removing a solid rivet from wing-spar to leading-edge rib. I think I'll drill it up for the -5 blind rivet.
Vansaircraft web store describes this rivet as having "round monel". What does this mean?

Last edited:
If it's a universal head rivet, you may want to consider a cherrymax. They make a regular (CR3213) and an oversize (CR3243). Also before you stick the pop rivet in there, max sure it's the correct length. The BSPQ-5-4 may be too long in this application. I believe the correct drill call out is on the empennage plans... I know it is on the RV-7 stab.

Round monel means it has a round or universal type head and monel is the material.

Phil:
Don't believe anyone is going to see this when you're finished. Pick out a large enough drill to make the hole clean all the way through, deburr it, and leave it alone. There is no strength issue here. You can drill for an additional -4 nearby to complete your installation of the nose rib, if you wish.

If you go to a larger rivet you may end up with a less than satisfactory shop head as most RV tool kits don't include bucking bars heavy enough for the larger sizes. This is likely one of those issues where the "fix" may be worse than the problem.

To paraphrase a wise builder "remember, you're going to use this plane to go to Ottawa, not Mars."

Have fun, don't worry.
Terry