phil9diesel

Sometimes I come across no .401 size 4 riveters. Can they be used at lower pressure for smaller rivets, and are there any advantages/disadvantages? What are these hammerguns, Vs riveters, that people say rivet lousy?

I dont know about your rivets, but the hammer gun is what auto body shops use to cut metal panels with. Sometimes called an air chisel.

Buy a real rivet gun.

Mike

I've never used an air hammer to rivet, but from what I understand, you can't "tease" the trigger on it. Unlike a rivet gun proper, it's all or nothing.

dan said:
I've never used an air hammer to rivet, but from what I understand, you can't "tease" the trigger on it. Unlike a rivet gun proper, it's all or nothing.
That all depends on the age of the "air hammer". I've built 8 airplanes and rebuilt several more with only an old Ingersol air hammer. It has a VERY good teasing trigger. Most of the later ones don't. Therefore, you can use an air hammer if you can find the right one.

dan said:
As Mel said, riveting can be done with an air hammer, but the risk of damage is higher. The big factor is the trigger. I have an Ingersoll-Rand IR114QQC for car/truck/house stuff, and it has a decent trigger. It's by no means an "ON or OFF" deal, but it's definitely not a teasing trigger like a rivet gun either. I definitely would not set rivets on an aircraft item with it.