RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am doing the rudder, in the area where the skin, lower rib and faring support strips go. I am thinking of dimpling all 3 layers, as opposed to dimple king, CS middle layer and leaving the R-716 faring strip flat. My thought is without a dimple the fairing strip will be flat and not as secure as a dimple. Any thought.

here are the part numbers; Bottom of rudder, where skin attaches to R-704 rib with R-716 strips on the inside. The R-716 strips are there so the lower rudder fairing has a place to attach to. There is another 3 layer area at the upper spar, where the skin upper rib and R-713 strip come together.

Just want some reassurance that a triple dimple is OK here.

Thanks

Mike-

No problem with the triple dimple at all. Just wait until you get to the fuselage where there are a couple of quintuple layers that all get dimpled! The rule of thumb is to always dimple when you can. It leads to a stronger joint because no material is removed.

Awesome, thanks to everyone. Isn't it weird how some of the simplest things stall the build. I figured it would be OK but I could not find the issue in the AC 43 so I thought I would ask, of course I might have missed it, nice government publication with no index meant I had to skim the chapters. Anyway thanks again.

In that area I don't think the middle layer is even deep enough to effectively coutersink. In any event, I triple dimpled as well... build on!

FAA On-Line...

Awesome, thanks to everyone. Isn't it weird how some of the simplest things stall the build. I figured it would be OK but I could not find the issue in the AC 43 so I thought I would ask, of course I might have missed it, nice government publication with no index meant I had to skim the chapters. Anyway thanks again.

The index is in this link....

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99c827db9baac81b86256b4500596c4e/$FILE/CONTENTS.pdf

...and each of the chapters can be seen here....

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E?OpenDocument

...hoping these long, ugly URLs work...:)

gil A

Gil,

Thanks for shooting me the link to the "Table of Contents" but what alluding to was the lack of an "Index". An Index allows you to look for a key word and it tells you on what pages that term appears. It usually appears at the end of the entire publication. It is convenient for finding specific information. In my years in the AF I find that many government documents lack an index, not sure why they just do. Thanks for you effort.

Ooops...

Gil,

Thanks for shooting me the link to the "Table of Contents" but what alluding to was the lack of an "Index". An Index allows you to look for a key word and it tells you on what pages that term appears. It usually appears at the end of the entire publication. It is convenient for finding specific information. In my years in the AF I find that many government documents lack an index, not sure why they just do. Thanks for you effort.

You are correct... I messed up "Index" and "Table of Contents"...:eek:

I do have a version around of the AC that I indexed with Adobe Acrobat. It allows word searches of the whole document... not quite an index, but still useful. Unfortuneatly, it's the old version so I don't want to release it.

We need some bored at work with a copy of the full Adobe Acrobat to do the same thing to the latest version....:)

gil A

Soft copy

You are correct... I messed up "Index" and "Table of Contents"...:eek:

I do have a version around of the AC that I indexed with Adobe Acrobat. It allows word searches of the whole document... not quite an index, but still useful. Unfortuneatly, it's the old version so I don't want to release it.

We need some bored at work with a copy of the full Adobe Acrobat to do the same thing to the latest version....:)

gil A

Gil,

I will definitely be using the links you posted with the Adobe files. Word search with the computer is better than an index. I just never looked for AC-43 online. I have been working with a paper copy I bought from an online book store. Thanks again for your help, this is not the first time you have pointed out good online resources keep them coming.

Cheers