Hornet2008

Well Known Member
My IO320 D1A, prop and FWF kit arrived today via sea freight. Do I need to do anything to the engine. As it is an international order from Vans it is preserved. I don't intend to mount it for a while.

need a good time estimate.......

I think one of our resident mechanics will chime in.....you need to know if it's 'preserved' or 'pickled'.
I'm sure there's another technical term, but there are recommended limits for storage prior to actual start & run-in.
are you talking months, or possibly years? Are you in Sydney...or Bourke!.....:) that makes a big difference; if coastal....you may need to run a drier thru the thing until you know you are about to run it.
again, even googling for Lycoming storage recommendations in the service manual may answer some of your questions I'm sure....this is the best I could find......

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/Lycoming_SB_SL/si/SI1481.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks Perry, I was unaware of that information, I haven't opened the box up but will be sure to do that today. I'm inland so should escape the coastal problems. So far this spring inland NSW has been very dry.

Thanks Perry, I was unaware of that information, I haven't opened the box up but will be sure to do that today. I'm inland so should escape the coastal problems. So far this spring inland NSW has been very dry.

Inside the box is a white binder with an operator's manual and some Lycoming Service bulletins. One of the documents in the manual talks about the preservation process and the steps you will need to take. All pretty straight forward stuff.

bob