HighSchoolBuilders

Well Known Member
After completion, I realize the trailing edge is not straight, it's bending slightly at the end where the rib flange touches overlap with the skin. It's very minor but I don't think it's right.

Another thing I notice is the same area where there are the rib, skin, and counterbalance skin riveted together. It's almost as if too many layers are being riveted together and the tip is bended outward. Hard to explain, hope the photos makes more sense.

Thanks!
Hank

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Elevator counterbalance wt

The lead counterbalance weight mounts to the INSIDE face of the arm, not on the end of it as shown on one of your pictures.

I can't get to the plan right now, but do you mean the lead weight should not be "Inside" the fiberglass tip when mounted?

Thanks for the heads up!
Hank

The older kits....

....had two bigger weights mounted either side of the horn center web. Moving the weight forward and letting it spread into the volume of the tip fairing allows a smaller weight overall but with the same balancing effect due to the longer moment arm. RV evolution is a beautiful thing :)
Jim Sharkey

Thanks guys. How does the bend/twist looks, is it fixable, I am concerned because it's an aerodynamic surface. I built everything by the book so far so I don't know what did I do to allow that to happen.

Thanks!

It's difficult to diagnose remotely but ... it looks like some multiple factors got you. From your other thread, you may need to address the trailing edge bend. This is not easy to redress once the structure is in because the structure itself interferes with further bending. Another factor is that it looks like the flanges of the tip rib are not 90 degrees to the web. When fluting, you have to make sure the web lays flat and the flanges remain at the proper angle. Yet another factor might be the attachment of the tip rib to the spar; I think the ribs are symmetrical but could you have canted the rib slightly ... maybe when drilling and installing the elevator horn? That last is about the only thing I can think of that would really cause your problem; otherwise I'd expect the skin to twist the skeleton to fit.

For corrective action, I'd say carefully drill out the inboard tip rib and enough spar to allow you to remove the horn and rib. At this point, see if the skin goes back to a straight trailing edge. If not, you'll need to work the skin to get it straight again. While keeping it straight, reinstall the rib (I'm going to suggest a replacement rib because I think you're going to have to rework it so the holes won't line up anymore; ask for an unpunched rib). Make sure the flanges are 90 degrees and don't push it so far back to the trailing edge that it makes the skin bulge as in one of your pictures. If necessary, remove the flange for attachment at the spar and replace with a bit of angle to allow the rib to be located forward (the strength at that joint is in the elevator horn anyway. Once the rib is in with the skin straight, then drill the horn, being careful not to twist the elevator. The weldments aren't exact due to the welding process anyway and some allowance is made when aligning the elevators later so don't worry if the best fit of the weldment is not perfectly centered in the rib. If I am right about the cause of the problem, that should take care of it with minimal effort and cost.

Edit: I noticed that the bulge at the rib I mentioned is at the outboard tip (6th picture), though I'd still look for it at the inboard rib, too. For the outboard rib, short of reworking the rib and counterweight, you could try enlisting the help of a body man to work the bulge down. It's delicate work, though, and the bulge is not that bad as long as there is no twist there, so you could just leave it and forget it. I've seen worse ... on my own project. Building my -6A was a learning experience that I'm now applying to the -10. But the -6A flies great even if it is a little rough.

Last edited:
I'll let you in on a secret. My first Job at Boeing was building flight controls. They spent over $1 million on the Jigs. When we had a trailing edge not straight we replaced the skins at a cost of $18k a piece. After about 30 skins the Boeing engineers decided a small amount of twist was "acceptable". My trailing edges suck! I can't stand that they are not perfect, but I am resolved that the small amount of twist is "accepatable" and where it is twisted up will be countered by where it is twisted down. At least I hope. I am sure the're are a bunch of engineers reading that already have pulled out their slide rules and have calculted the imposed adverse load coefficients, for me, I am just going to live with it for now. Yours look acceptable to me from the pics.

Heh, that's just more proof of what Van has said since the beginning: You can build warped parts in perfect (and expensive) jigs and it is perfectly possible to build straight parts in imperfect (and cheap) fixtures. \

I agree that aerodynamically that structure is probably acceptable but it is useful to sometimes weigh the cost of correcting things. My -6A looks like a dog (painting will improve it) but flies great. On the other hand, what I learned from it is allowing the completed components on my -10 to look fabulous and I intend to keep going that way. So far, that philosophy has caused me to replace the HS front spar because I misdrilled the doubler and the skins because of some damage when the HS was blown down by wind. In the latter case, the damage was purely cosmetic; in the former it probably could have been repaired but the repair would be unsightly. I chose the higher cost alternative but someone else might have reasonably chose otherwise. In this case, only the builder can decide how important it is for him to have a perfectly straight trailing edge.