dbaflyer

Well Known Member
I am trying to validate the layers of material that join the elevator skin, counter balance skin, spar and E904 tip rib. Now that I have it initially assembled it looks like the order is just as I stated and it fits together pretty well. The other thing throwing me off is the plans say "AN426 AD3-4.5 spar to elevator skin to counter balance skin rivets". The E904 tip rib is actually another layer in that mess. Here is a picture of the hole in question. It would be the hole to the left of the 2 clecos.

Does this sound like it's assembled correctly?

AVXC2VwQJ9H4yqMzJHZ-Pg

With the right elevator assembled I was looking at rivet sequence a bit. I'm not sure why the plans have you rivet the E-903/E-904/E-913 to the spar after you rivet the E-902 to the top of the spar. If you do this how are you supposed to set the 4 rivets that attach E-903 & E-904 (tip ribs) to the spar. Seems like it would work out better if you riveted the counter balance assembly to the spar first.

Either way I'm still puzzled about the hole mentioned in my first post. This is called out for an AN426 rivet and I'm not seeing any way to set such a rivet with any tools I own. Anyone have hints as to how to work this one rivet? Can this rivet be substituted with a CS4-4?