Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Anyone have any advice on a reasonably priced right angle air drill? One that will allow me to get into close quarters.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
Perfect

Vlad,

That's just what I need. I'm drilling the flap attach brackets to the ribs. Could I borrow it over the weekend? Let me know when it would be convenient to meet you.

Thanks,

Tom

Vlad,

That's just what I need. I'm drilling the flap attach brackets to the ribs. Could I borrow it over the weekend? Let me know when it would be convenient to meet you.

Thanks,

Tom

Come any time you know to where. If I am not there look at the table I will leave the attachment and two threaded bits you need.

Looks like you have solved the problem. I have an Atlas Copco right angle drill that I am very happy with, model LBV24 (seems this particular model no longer made). I didn't use it at all on the empennage, very little on the wings, but used it quite a bit on the fuselage and I'm glad I got it.

Here are some of their drills (caution, they are not what I would call reasonably priced, quite expensive in fact).
http://194.132.104.143/websites/tools/products/Main.nsf?OpenDatabase
The drills with a really small 90 degree head all seem to have a collet drive rather than a chuck. This is a bit annoying at times, but I'll put up with it for the convenience of getting into tight quarters. One good thing about collets is I once had to cut off some of the drill shank to shorten it for a really tight spot. You can't do this with a threaded drill.

For drilling aluminum you want a fairly high rpm, mine is 3200 rpm.

Here's a more reasonably priced drill, but uses threaded drills rather than standard drills. Still not as convenient as a chuck, but works in tight quarters better than a chuck.
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ADAT50

I tried the Taylor 90? and 45? drills, and didn't like them. They were both a bit sticky in their starting behaviour, sometimes requiring little air to start, sometimes a lot, and sometimes they wouldn't start even with full airflow. So I sent them back and exchanged them for the Pan American drills (from Avery). Not a large price difference, but much smoother in operation.

drill

Hi Tom, Check out the yardstore.com for used tools. Also new tools. great folks. good luck. I bought a used rockwell. great tool. al

snake 90

I don't have a catalog in front of me to say what tool company has them at what price but several years ago I wanted the same thing and went with a snake 90 degree that is about 18 inches long with a 90 degree end that takes threaded drills (i also bought the chuck that threads on) from us industrial tool if i remember right they have two different priced ones i bought the cheaper of the two. if memory serves it was in the 40 dollar range.