Hello everyone,

just wondering how much need there is for a right angled air drill for a SB RV8, and if so, what size would be needed?

I found a local supplier with the following air drill on sale, curious to know if it would get into the nooks and crannies of an RV8 and if anyone has experience with the company or product itself. Wondering if the chuck and "right angle" part would have enough clearance in tight areas.

Its a Chicago 3/8" chuck reversible if the link doesn't work

Hope that makes sense

Dave

1714588772444.png

It’s a tool and highly subjective. This is the first of many replies. I built a -8. I used one of the tight quarters drill adapters that use threaded drill bits. As I recall the places it was required were due to clearance between the hole and a part near the hole that a chuck type drill wouldn’t fit. The forward fuselage were you match drill from the inside for example. I also recall wishing I would have bought a dedicated close quarters air drill to start with.
good luck!
mike

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpeg
    IMG_0664.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I'm not sure about the RV8 specifics of your question, but my experience on my -9 has been that the locations I need a right angle drill for are by nature very tight, and the smaller the head on the angle drill, the better. I don't think the drill you referenced would have been much use in most of the cases I needed one, purely because of the size. I bought a used drill on ebay (the kind that use threaded drill bits), and also bought a small chuck attachment for it for the cases where I need an odd bit size that I don't have a threaded bit for. I don't use the drill often, but when I need it, I need it.

Get a battery powered drill and 90* angle attachment from Home Depot aviation department. I bought a pneumatic drill and rarely used it. So much easier not to have an air hose to drag around and noisey compressor going

The second best tool I own. I bought extra bits, and a mini chuck. Putting it in my Will.

I bought the complete kit from Avery back in the day, three airplanes ago.

I agree with post #3 and 5. The kit in post #2 is ok but can be awkward to use and difficult to get in all the locations where you will need it. I have used my right angle pneumatic with the screw-in bits many many times in my 3 builds (7,4 & 8). Wouldn't be without one.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do have a question about the use of the angle drills. I love my pneumatic 90, but for whatever reason I struggle not to oblong holes when I use the short bits, even when I THINK I've stabilized the head very well. It runs true, that's not the issue. Is that just a function of the short bits because a slight movement of the drill head equals a big angle of the bit relative to a longer drill bit? Any tips? It turns very fast, so I'm wondering if I just need to turn down the pressure to reduce the speed for stubby bits.

This kit from Cleveland proved to be the most useful to us

I found I need a close quarter angle drill adapter, like the Cleveland kit in the post above, for the various drilling jobs in the RV8 fuselage. The regular hardware store angle drill chuck is too bulky and will not fit into some of the area where I needed to drill.

I've been quite happy with one of these and use it quite frequently, though like everything else the price has gone up quite a bit.

I think the right angle pneumatic mentioned above would be ideal as it has a small chuck diameter and very little depth. Depending on the hole, if hex fractional will do(either as final size or it gets you almost there), then this could be an option... If anyone is aware of a source for aircraft sized bits like these, please advise. (ie #40,#30,#21,#19)

FWIW there were a number of holes I couldn't use the right angle drill on, but the driver elbow or flexible extension made it an option.

Attachments

• RightAngle.JPG
    RightAngle.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 28
I have a pneumatic drill similar to the pix of the OP and have used it occasionally on my build, but for the most part, if you can't use a regular pistol grip electric or pneumatic drill, then the drill in the pix of the OP is going to be too bulky.

I bought an Atlas Copco 90 degree pneumatic drill before I started my build, and never used it until I came to the fuselage.
Then it became VERY useful. But, considering the expense,and use of the drill, if I had it to do over again, I'd look for a good used or rebuilt one. There are two types of these: a collet type in which you have to have a collet for each size of drill (most applications only need four #40, #30, #21 etc.), or the 1/4"-28 threaded type in which you need a drill bit with a 1/4"-28 end. Cleaveland tool has some nice sets of the latter. Mine is a collet type and finding additional collets is a bit of a hassle.

I used the heck out of the right angle attachment. Very close quarter clearance.
I did modify mine. I ran a 1/4-28 die on the shaft. Very handy. Thread it on the speed deburring tool and you have a 90 degree speed deburring tool or a manual 90 degree drill for clearing chips.

1714608658906.jpeg
you’ll want an 90 degree air drill that looks like this. You may also want to look for “egg cups” to drill a truly perpendicular hole. The 45 degree takes real skill to use without an egg cup
1714608658906.jpeg 1714608947429.jpeg

I've often wondered what I would call my "can't do without" tool. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it's possible it would be the Taylor right-angle drill, I have the 13-9750. While I don't use it all that often, there are a number of places (guessing 100+) where I've wondered, "how would anybody do this without a right angle drill?" I really haven't had a problem with oblong holes and I'm a bit surprised by the posts above that are struggling. I must say that the threaded bits are expensive and when they dull, the drill will wander.

Beware of what I would call a relatively large chuck. The reason you're looking at a right angle drill is to get into tight spots, I'm not sure some of those larger tools would gain you much. My opinion is that if your going to spend the money, go cheap and by a really good tool one time.

Note: One of the many luxuries I don't have is a set of threaded reamers. THAT would be nice!

Thank you everyone, that was my concern regarding the size.

Really appreciate all the input! Now if only I could find a used tool kit somewhere in western canada….lol

View attachment 61924
you’ll want an 90 degree air drill that looks like this. You may also want to look for “egg cups” to drill a truly perpendicular hole. The 45 degree takes real skill to use without an egg cup
View attachment 61924 View attachment 61925
plus one on the already bent drill above. I've got one and don't ever go for the adaptor 90 degree business in the back of that drawer.
These are very close coupled and the bit screw in easily
I used to work in dental clinic in the Army 50 years ago and got spoiled with those little right angle drills.
But my luck varies. FIXIT

I bought this one with two attachments. I really like it. I think an angle drill is awesome when you need it! and very much missed when you dont have one. wont be pulled out a lot but like many tools you will be so pleased you have one. https://www.yardstore.com/acat-double-90-deg-drill-kit

P.S. i didn't get the double angle one so mine was not this expensive. I got the 90 degree and the 45 degree fittings. I chose it as the head is quite small and will enable you to get into tighter places....