That kit is a great deal

If the attachment is made well, it is a great deal at $44 . A must have.........

Drill

You attatch your drill motor to the shaft on the right side of the picture and a threaded drill bit to the angled end and drill away.

A one piece right angle air drill would be better but they cost a lot more. Unless you're going to be a repeat offender or you're a "tool junkie" this one should be all you need.

wow, great price on the one from Spruce... thanks! And Aircraft Spruce also now has a Canadian warehouse...cheaper shipping:)

Drill

If the one from ACS has a plastic gearhead like the one I used to have, I'd gladly pay the extra 50 Bucks for the one from Avery.

A couple of things about the right angle drill attachment: definitely get the metal geared one. When you're working in a tight space, it's easy to bind up the drill bit, which will ruin the gears. Even with the metal gear set, I sheared the shear pin. Fortunately, the brand Avery sells is by a good manufacturer and they sent me extra shear pins for free. Very nice to work with.

One of the problems I had with the RA attachment is that it wants to spin instead of the bit. At first I used a vice grip as a handle for leverage but eventually I made a handle with a short piece of pipe and a hose clamp. If the bit binds up, the attachment will try to spin and you'll need more leverage than your hand can supply by gripping around the attachment.

Also, I ended up needing to make some cable runs through the fuselage that would involve holes drilled through the formers near the skins. There's a really long drill extension available (sold at Home Depot along with extension bits intended for running cable through a wall) that are fairly flexible. The extended bits are for wood, but the extensions are available for 3/16" and 1/4" shaft bits. The latter perfectly fit my unibit and allowed me to drill next to but parallel to the skins in several places. The extension is about a yard (sorry, it's at the shop so I don't have the actual dimensions or brand) and requires two people to use - one to guide the bit and the other to operate the drill motor. It changed the job from impossible to merely difficult. Well worth the $20 cost.

yup

bought mine today.. the deluxe version, and I added the collet adapter as well.... I've used it before (borrowed and did not want to give it back!!!) and loved it! it was an experience to drill with it... and to keep it straight. Its always wants to turn so it pays to get a good grip on it. Nothing beats the right tool at the right time.... Maybe if we could get some of these master tool makers to do a super small adjustable chuck for common drill bits that fits into the collet holder we'd be doing even better, anybody heard of such a thing?
Best
Brian Wallis

past the magic first 6 rivits and loving it!

Last edited:
Torque Reaction!

Careful with torque reaction. Because the body of the attachment is not rigidly attached to the drill motor it tends to want rotate unless very well held and holes can wander to the left. Ask me how I know?

Wonderfully useful though. Another useful addition is an off-set or pancake attachment.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

I also have the Avery one. Would it be wise when using it to put a wrench on the hex part of the body to help hold the drill? Is that the purpose of the hex section? I haven't had a chance to really use this tool yet...

I have never had to use anything more than just my left hand to hold the unit.

I find that a cordless drill works better for me, than an air drill. I have more control on speed, and no pesky hose getting in the way.

thanks

Thanks for all the tips on this guys. Yesterday I ordered the delux kit from ACS (along with a bunch of extra clelcoes... the fuse is really stretching my clecoe supply!) It shipped last night, so I expect it next week sometime.

Just got my right-angle drill attachment from ACS. Do I have to oil this? If so, where does the oil go?
What is that little "threaded chucking spud" for? It says to allow straight use of threaded "TIGHT FIT DRILLS", extensions and accessories... but the right angle drill attachment accepts the threaded bits directly...