czechsix

Well Known Member
I'm working on a GTN650 installation in my RV-8A and am wondering if anyone has been able to use straight BNC/TNC connectors with an acceptable bend radius, or did you have to use right angle connectors? I don't have mine installed yet but from taking measurements it looks like it will be very close. I think the min bend radius for RG400 is 1".

Thanks,

Mark Navratil
Spring Hill, KS
RV-8A N2D

Data Point, I used 90's and it was a good fit. Didn't even try the straights because it looked tight to start with.

I used the 90 degree connectors...I can't see how there would be anywhere enough bend radius for a normal connector. Be careful though, the 90 degree connectors (especially the TNCs) are expensive!

I recently purchased a few TNC to BNC adapters from showmecables.com.

There's a huge variance in cost for connectors depending on where you shop. I also recently purchased some basic Amphenol BNC crimp connectors from Stein for somewhere around $2 - $2.50 per connector. The local electronics shop wanted $8.50 for the same EXACT product.

Hope this helps!

Ok thanks guys, I'll get some right angles on order.

Mark Navratil
Spring Hill, KS
RV-8A N2D

I could not make a 90 fit with flush mount radios. I had to improvise. Tinned the center conductor and stuck it in, took the braid and attached to a large ring terminal and attached to the fitting on the tray. Allowed for a very tight fit and I saved a few bucks on those expensive connectors. Since the tray stays put, I have never had to remove the connection at all. Been working fine for multi thousand hours.

I recently purchased a few TNC to BNC adapters from showmecables.com.

There's a huge variance in cost for connectors depending on where you shop. I also recently purchased some basic Amphenol BNC crimp connectors from Stein for somewhere around $2 - $2.50 per connector. The local electronics shop wanted $8.50 for the same EXACT product.

Hope this helps!

Question: which one fits RG400 cable? Is there an equivalent non-aviation RG size I should be looking for?

Your question doesn't parse as written; I apologize if I just didn't understand it. Both TNC and BNC 'fit' RG400. They are just different type of connectors (threaded versus bayonet) and there are varieties of each to fit any type of coax you can think of. A search at mouser.com turns up a bewildering array of options even if you narrow the search to just RG400. I have made up computer coax 90s before, of the solder-and-crimp style (the center conductor is soldered through a capped opening before the insulation and shield are crimped), but for the RV-10 I took the easy way out. I measured the cable runs and asked Aerotronics to supply cables for me with the 90-degree fitting already done. Since they knew the equipment it would attach to, they automatically got the proper fitting and probably did a much better job than I would do making up the connection. I only had to route the cable and make up the straight connection at the other end. I'm sure Stein or any other avionics shop would be willing to do the same. Just another option if you don't want to be your own electrical engineer.

Your question doesn't parse as written; I apologize if I just didn't understand it. Both TNC and BNC 'fit' RG400. They are just different type of connectors (threaded versus bayonet) and there are varieties of each to fit any type of coax you can think of. A search at mouser.com turns up a bewildering array of options even if you narrow the search to just RG400. I have made up computer coax 90s before, of the solder-and-crimp style (the center conductor is soldered through a capped opening before the insulation and shield are crimped), but for the RV-10 I took the easy way out. I measured the cable runs and asked Aerotronics to supply cables for me with the 90-degree fitting already done. Since they knew the equipment it would attach to, they automatically got the proper fitting and probably did a much better job than I would do making up the connection. I only had to route the cable and make up the straight connection at the other end. I'm sure Stein or any other avionics shop would be willing to do the same. Just another option if you don't want to be your own electrical engineer.

Basically if you search RG400 on showmecables, you get no hits, so I was curious what BNC/TNC part to order that would mate properly with the RG400 cable. So I'll just use Steinair - seems like a safer bet.