David-aviator

Well Known Member
Last summer, when the wings were built and ailerons attached, the bellcrank in the wing was set with the template provided and the ailerons set to the alignment jig at the wing outboard edge.

Yesterday, when the control tubes to the stick were hooked up, both ailerons hung down about 1/8" from the alignment mark at the wing tip jig. I am about to adjust the length of the long tubes to get the ailerons up where the jig says they should be, but a thought occurred to me over night.

If the ailerons droop down just a bit, would the airplane go faster or is it the other way around, ailerons rigged up slightly make for less drag and more speed?

Just a thought, I will adjust the ailerons to get them as per the plan. As of right now they are slightly out of tolerance on the up travel check - 37° vrs the 32 max limit.

Last edited:
In general ...

The droop = under cambered airfoil = more lift = more drag = opposite of washout typically used to make tips stall last and retain roll control authority.

Bob Axsom

On the gap seal thread Joe Blank noted Frise ailerons on the RV-10. These ailerons may be similar.