Madredr1

Hey all,

Are ride requests considered taboo on here? Thought I'd check before I threw one out there?

Thanks,

David

Well, I'm kind of a big fella at 6'3" 260 and have always been interested in the 6, 7, and 9. I mainly just to sit in one to see if my heavy butt will fit, or if I'm stuck putting around in a rental 172 for the rest of my life...

Went up to Oshkosh late this year and most of the RVs were gone, and the RV tent was closed when I was there. I was a little disappointed.

Supposedly the RV-14 has three inches more shoulder room than the 6/7. The -8 also has lots of room but is tandem seating.

You'd fit in an RV-8 no problem, but you're not going to like the fit of an RV-6... they're pretty "cozy" inside. At 5'7" and 185 lbs, it fits me just fine solo, but I still wish it had a bit more hip and shoulder room with two aboard.

Sorry, I wanted to ask if it was ok to post a request like that prior to actually requesting it. I kind of feel like an idiot for asking, but missed out on Oshkosh this year. If it's ok to post a request like that, I'll just end this thread and actually put out the request...

You'd fit in an RV-8 no problem, but you're not going to like the fit of an RV-6... they're pretty "cozy" inside. At 5'7" and 185 lbs, it fits me just fine solo, but I still wish it had a bit more hip and shoulder room with two aboard.

See, that's what I was wondering, the 1978 172 I trained in and fly right now has a cabin width of 39.5 according to the manual and me and the better half are comfy in there. So Vans site says the width of the 7 is 40", I kind of figured it would be similar to the 172 but wasn't sure...that's why I figured I would look into sitting in one to see how it is.

The 6, 7 & 9 have almost exactly the same cabin width, but the 7 and 9 definitely have better leg and head room.

I got my ride today!

So I was over at my Dad's place located on 6P3 and we heard the local guy with his RV-9 take off. A little later I heard him call in base so Dad and I wandered out to the runway to watch him land. Well he taxied over and asked my Dad if he wanted a ride. Dad asked if he could take me up instead.

Wow, what an amazing airplane! The takeoff and climb out was just amazing, and it was so nimble in the maneuvers. The power also gave me a smile - I really felt it when he put the power on.

I couldn't thank him enough for the ride, and love my dad for offering the ride to me over him.

I'm sold on the RV.

So how did it fit for you?

Just curious... how did it fit for you? I know... the excitement of your first RV ride kind of blows you away. But I'm curious about your impressions of the cabin.

I've had the opportunity to sit in the RV-14 and it is significantly more roomy inside. :)

Just curious... how did it fit for you? I know... the excitement of your first RV ride kind of blows you away. But I'm curious about your impressions of the cabin.

I've had the opportunity to sit in the RV-14 and it is significantly more roomy inside. :)

Honestly when trying to get in I was a little discouraged, and he had booster cushions for his wife in it so i was really close to the canopy. Once I was in though, it was comfortable. But honestly, I'm about 60-70 pounds overweight and this gives me a great incentive to lose that weight. If i didn't have the spare tire and extra flub everywhere it would have been a lot more comfortable.