jcaplins

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am in the relocation phase to Richmond Virginia. I got a hanger at Chesterfiled county airport (KFCI)....

I am absolutly shocked at what is not allowed in the hanger. Basically I can store my Cessna and only aviation things related to that specific aircraft. The hanger can not be used as a workshop of any kind.

So this means building the RV7 in there is out of the question.

Anyone builders in the Richmond area? Where are you building? Where can I get a hanger for building and housing my cessna (standard 40' T)? Is this a common problem with county owned/administered hangers?

Thanks,
Jeff

I don't mind keeping the cessna outside, but my wife will not allow me to build the plane in the living room.

Richmond, VA

Check with Heart of Aviation FBO at KOFP, Hanover, VA. They are real friendly people and I pass through there on occasion. Seems to be GA friendly. I am passing through twice tomorrow, but will only shut one engine down to load/unload a pax and then gone again.

RV's in the Richmond Virginia area.

Jeff,
There are lots of RV's in and around the Richmond Virginia area. I'm building a 7 and working on the small items in my back yard shop. Five min. away is my friend Paul White who is building an 7A. He is 90% done with the fuse. and will be ordering the finish kit soon. He has an 0-360 to rebuild. There are RV's all around Richmond and I will let those builders report in and say hello. Send a PM when you are planning to visit the area.

Garland Edwards

Building in Richmond

Hi there and welcome!

My name is Ray Swanson and I am building an RV-9A in Richmond. I rent two adjacent garage spaces in The Fan District and the landlord is very friendly toward my project. In fact, he's allowed me to demise the partition wall between the two spaces and change roof support columns so I can easily fit the fuselage with enough space to hang the engine. In fact, I am now starting cowling work. My email is rswanson90_at_comcast_dot_net.

I own a house in the Northern Neck and am about half way through the construction of a hanger/work shop space. I expect to move my project down there before the end of September so my current shop space just described will be available. I've given notice and my landlord would love the fact that someone could move in directly and utilize the space as is.

Hangers are nearly non existent in the RIC area, at least ones that will allow building. The first airplane I built was a Flightstar IISC and I built it in a hanger at KPTB. But it is 40 minutes by car from downtown RIC so it cuts in to building time. I'm on the waiting list for a hanger at Hummel Field in Deltaville and it will be home to my project (N858JK) when finished.