Iluke

Well Known Member
IMG_1462_zpsad21df81.jpg

I'm pretty sure I know thee answer to this question, but I'm not not 100% sure so I would appreciate a double check.

The picture shows one in a line of rivet holes in the wing main spar flange, corresponding to holes in the underlying rib flanges. They sit under the tank skin and leading edge skin. Logic tells me these need to be countersunk and riveted independent from either riveting the skins or assembling the tank or installing the leading edge.

What gives me pause is that for the life of me I can't find a rivet callout on any of the plans. Probably I'm just missing it, but I'd appreciate anyone who could confirm my read on this before I go any further.

thanks

You are right: countersink and rivet spar and rib only at that locations. Check for correct rivet lenght, if I remember correctly is a 3.5 and yes, I also spent maybe one hour searching the plans for rivet callout without success.

If its like the 9, seems to be a common area of confusion. On mine there is a callout but very hard to see. It is a an426ad3-4 and is countersunk and then riveted so it does not interfere with the skin.

Thanks very much! This, I think, is the real value of this forum. Sometimes you just need another set of eyes!

DWG 12

The rivet legend is on DWG 12. Note that the holes where you rivet the skin to the spar to the rib calls out for a longer rivet (-4.5 as opposed to a -4.)

IMG_1462_zpsad21df81.jpg

I'm pretty sure I know thee answer to this question, but I'm not not 100% sure so I would appreciate a double check.

The picture shows one in a line of rivet holes in the wing main spar flange, corresponding to holes in the underlying rib flanges. They sit under the tank skin and leading edge skin. Logic tells me these need to be countersunk and riveted independent from either riveting the skins or assembling the tank or installing the leading edge.

What gives me pause is that for the life of me I can't find a rivet callout on any of the plans. Probably I'm just missing it, but I'd appreciate anyone who could confirm my read on this before I go any further.

thanks