rls14

I'm installing dual lightspeed ign in an io-540. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about using 20 AWG shielded wire verses RG-400. Any comments on Bob Knuckles advice on using 20 AWG opposed to the 400.

I suggest you use exactly what Klaus recommends or you will bring out the monster in him...:D

You won't like him if he gets angry:

the-incredible-hulk-new-tv-series-20101021024742414.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Brian. Stick with what Klaus designed the system to use and you won't have any troubles...with the system or him. If you ever need to call him and he finds out you didn't follow his instructions exactly....oh boy. :eek:

RG400 as recommended. The RG400 has a larger diameter of insulation around the stranded conductor core with superior outer shielding. 20 AWG tefzel p-lead inner jacket is very thin around the center core. More of a chance of voltage leakage to outer ground shield.

I tend to agree with "stick to RG400"....but I'd like to read Bob's reasoning for a switch to ordinary shielded wire. Got a link?

Apples to Apples

Note that the article linked above is primarily talking about RG-58, which does not perform as well (in any metric that I am aware of) to the currently recommended RG-400. In the linked article, even Bob indicates that RG-400 is probably the best, although expensive and somewhat harder to work with, choice.

I've got 400+ trouble free hours with the recommended RG-400. I'm installing a second LSII+ ignition now and will use the same.