DaveG

I am trying to get approval to run Mogas in RV-9 powered by a Lycoming IO-320 in the UK. For those who don't know in the UK we are regulated by the LAA & CAA and everything we do has to be 'approved' unlike an Experimental.

I have been asked to provide some statistics on number of hours use across a fleet of Vans aircraft with a 'to plans' fuel system (i.e. no pumps in the wing :) ) using Mogas in an injected Lycoming. If you have been running Mogas I would really appreciate you taking the time to fill in the following details.

Reg No:
Vans Model:
Engine Model (e.g. IO-320-D1A):
Compression Ratio (if known):
Any mods from a 'standard' install (e.g. Electronic ignition, fuel pump blast tube etc):
Hours run on Mogas:
Any issues:

TIA
David

Last edited:
YUP

1000 hours split between two airplanes..One a Soob the other a LYC IO360.

No issues whatsoever...But the fuel pumps are in the wingroots on both airplanes..Can't you move yours?...:)

I have had friends who have had VL issues with the standard system on Mogas but I don't know who was running a blast tube to the mechanical pump.

Frank

Long EZ at ~1000hrs on an 150HP O-320 certified overhaul. 1 Set Aviation plugs, 1 set Auto and the Aviation plugs have NEVER been changed (they have been rotated) and have no lead build-up.

Murphy Rebel ~400hrs on a 160HP O-320 Bart Motor.

Ryan

Reg No:
Vans Model:
Engine Model (e.g. IO-320-D1A):
Compression Ratio (if known):
Any mods from a 'standard' install (e.g. Electronic ignition, fuel pump blast tube etc):
Hours run on Mogas:
Any issues:

TIA
David

N849RS
RV-8
IO-360B1E
8.5:1
Dual Lightspeed EI, Blast tube on mechanical fuel pump.
200+ hours
Initially lost some fuel pressure in long, hot climb. Installed blast tube and replaced three 90-degree fittings forward of the firewall with straight fittings. No issues after these mods.

Reg No: C-GNDY
Vans Model: 7A
Engine Model (e.g. IO-320-D1A): IO-360
Compression Ratio (if known): 8.5
Any mods from a 'standard' install (e.g. Electronic ignition, fuel pump blast tube etc): one electronic ignitiion
Hours run on Mogas: 100+. I use both mogas and 100 ll
Any issues: works perfectly so far!