SebsRV7A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just finished up transition training with Mike Seager last Thursday and Friday. Outstanding training and I feel like I'm ready to test fly my RV-7A (just need to get it finished!!!)

My background, for reference... I am a military and airline guy, so I've got lots of time (8000+ hours) but limited time in GA airplanes. Done a bit of flying with my neighbors (Lancair ES, a couple flights in RV-6As) and just got my single engine certificate 2 weeks ago in a 172).

Mike started out with an hour of ground training specific to my needs. We talked about reference speeds for the RV-6A (and -7A differences). Then we talked about CS prop operations (pretty new to me). Discussed the flow of flying in the pattern (checklists, speeds, power settings). We also talked about taking care of the nose wheel on takeoff and landing. Mike answered my questions, and off we went. I was in the left seat,and did everything under his direction. Took off from Scappoose, OR. Went out over the Columbia River and did some basic maneuvering to get a feel for the controls. Some slow flight clean and configured. Then back to the pattern for landings. I think the -6A is A LOT easier to land than the 172. Mike teaches getting the nosewheel off the ground as early as possible on takeoff and keeping the nose on the horizon until the plane flies itself off the ground. Same on landing. Keep the nose off until you are about to lose elevator authority. Then let it down and keep full aft stick. We even did braking with the nose off the ground on landing. There is tons of elevator authority in this plane.
Flew .8 on the first sortie in the morning. Followed up in the afternoon with another flight (1.7). More slow flight, then stalls, then up to Toledo, WA for more landings before heading back to Scappoose.
Friday, 2 more flights (1.7 and 1.8), adding some nose high (30 degrees nose up) power-on stalls and accelerated stalls and aileron rolls, and then short-field landings at Grove field NE of Vancouver, WA. and back at Scappoose. Last flight took us to Vernonia, Mike's home base, for short, grass field landings (my first time on grass). Then on to Astoria on the coast, Seaside further down the coast for crosswind (10-15 kts) landings (sporty), and one other field down the coast. The variety was great, especially the short and soft fields and the crosswinds. I'll definitely be working up to crosswinds on my own slowly. Crosswinds demonstrate the biggest difference for me between a control stick and a yoke. After flying a yoke-equipped airplane most of my career, I thought the stick was really natural, but with a crosswind, I found it will take a while to get used to finessing the stick in the flare both for the pitch and to correct for the crosswind at the same time.
After 2 long days, I was tired, but feel confident in my ability to take my own plane up safely. Plus, I am even more fired up to get the last few (100) things done to get my plane in the air!

All the great stuff I'd heard about Mike Seager is true. He catered to my particular experience, stayed mellow even when my progression stalled at times, and gave me confidence by having us fly in different situations at the different fields we went to. I'd highly recommend using him before taking you own bird in the air. It cost me just shy of $750 for the 8 hours of time plus airplane time (6 hours), but I think it was worth it. I can tell my wife I'm ready and safe to fly our plane!

Sebastian Trost
RV-7A Tipup QB
Prepping canopy and cowl for paint!
Almost done!
Cameron Park, CA (O61)

So that is why you wern't home the other day when I stopped by to show your plane to a guy who is interested in building a -7.

Nice looking plane, by the way. you need to put some photos up for others to see.

"and just got my single engine certificate 2 weeks ago in a 172)." Congrats!!

Mike

Last edited:
Transition training

Just finished my training with Mike last week. I am very glad to have taken the time to go get training, besides the fact the insurance company required 3 hours. I did just over 5 with Mike and he pronounced me ready.

For me a few things were different, never flown a CS prop, never held the stick in my left hand (my Zodiac was setup with LH throttle as is my RV7a). This latter point made me very nervous in X wind landings and the inevitable yank the throttle and "engine failure, watya gonna do punk?"

Let me say this I thouroughly enjoyed flying with Mike, it was warm both days but I was absolutly soaked with sweat after each of our 4 flights. He worked me over pretty good and I had very little time to relax....Exactly what I paid him to do in fact.

Highly recommended!

Frank
N484H...Paperwork submitted today!

Sebastian...you are to be congratulated for recognizing the importance of transition training. You certainly have significantly more hours and experience than the average single propper. I won't consider passing up this valuable tool when I complete my 8. Due to location I will probably use Alex Dominicas.

Again...thanks for setting the right example.