alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I just test fit my aft deck. Is it correct that the aft deck does not extend all the way to the side skins? Mine seems to leave about 1/8" reveal on the top surface of each longeron rather than extending all the way to the outside edge(vertex?) of the longeron angle where it meets the side skins. I want to make sure that I'm doing this right because it seems that I'll have very little margin for error with only 1/4" of edge distance on the longeron when I drill through the aft deck into the angles. Does this sound about right?

Thanks.

Mine is as you describe (doesn't go all the way to the side skin) and everything is fine. I have completed that end of the airplane and all is well :).

Mine does not go all the way to the side skins either. IIRC I centered the aft deck as best I could between the two longerons and might have marked a few holes with a felt pen before drilling to be sure everything would come out OK.

Mark
RV-9A

Radomir said:
IIRC, it should be flush with side skin (so hanging over the longeron a bit).

I meant to post this question under the RV9 header. Oops. (Does any moderator want to move it for me?)

Thanks for the quick replies. Radomir, are you referring to the aft CANOPY deck? I am aware that those canopy decks do overhang the longeron by .032, but I am referring to the plain old aft deck (the one that goes over the aft-most 3 bulkheads). Regardless, thanks. And thanks Scott for your website, I actually checked that and looked at your recent mounting of the HS to try to find the answer... but couldn't tell from that picture. :)

Last edited:
alpinelakespilot2000 said:
I am referring to the plain old aft deck (the one that goes over the aft-most 3 bulkheads).
Yep, there's a gap. The most important things here are alignment and edge distance...alignment so the F-709 (I think that's it) semi-circular bulkhead is in the right spot, and edge distance so the holes you drill through the longerons have at least 2D all around.

FWIW, some photos of mine:
20021207_clamped_aft_deck.jpg

(see the gap all around? yellow...green primer showing through...)
20021208_aft_deck_riveted.jpg

Last edited: