PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
There have been many threads and many more comments on the issue of whether or not to re-use locknuts.

And whether to use Nylocks or Metal locknuts.

I spend a lot of time browsing John Schwaner's website at mechanicsupport.com, and learn something new every time I visit.

Here is a link to an article that should answer anyone's questions about locknuts:

http://mechanicsupport.blogspot.com/2012/08/reusing-locknuts.html

Enjoy!! And Thanks, John!!! :)

Pete,
Good information. I didn't understand about when I could or should reuse a locknut. The part that does concern me is with plate nuts. If I understand what the article said, they are like the all metal locknut and by design, they grip the screw or bolt and that damages them after repeated use. As long as the plate nut itself is OK, I don't have a problem replacing screws when needed.

I just removed several bolts on the main spar to install "A" gear mounts on a completed fuselage. I reused the nylon locknuts. It was a real pain in the *** building a wrench that would fit the lower bolts. After reading the article, I am going to order new nuts for all the one's I reused.

I think I will be making an order of a whole bunch of new nuts. Those little suckers are all over the plane. As for the ENJOY, Im not sure about that!!