maus92

Well Known Member
I have an O-360 installed in my RV-8A. Is it possible to pull the Slick mags, and install E-Mags without removing the engine from its mounts?

You bet. There is no reason at all to remove the engine to install one.

You'll need to install a few new wires, install a circuit breaker for each E/Pmag, etc., but it isn't a bad job at all.

Studs

If you have an impulse coupler under one of the slicks you'll have to replace the studs as they will be too long.
Tim Andres

Not an issue and the good thing is you can move the cam gears from the Slicks to the P-mags.

You will need two independent pullable breakers, one for each P-mag.

preview the instructions

... Is it possible to pull the Slick mags, and install E-Mags without removing the engine from its mounts?

Yes.

I found the instructions available from E MAG very thorough, covering all the tips mentioned above, in detail: this enables you to preview your installation tools, equipment, parts, and processes before removing anything.

Best of all, the instructions are Free!

No problem.

Hi

I have just done this on my 4. As alluded to above its not just as simple as swapping one with the other. P Mags do not come with drive gears so you will have to use the ones off your mags or buy new gears.

If you have an impulse mag that drive gear will not fit so you will need one new drive gear like I did. The other issue with an impulse mag is that there is a spacer off the back of the case which needs to be remove and the studs replaced with shorter ones.

Another possible issue is how the original Mags were attached as the P Mags do not have mounting bolt holes and are clamped in place, the mounting clips are $22 from Emagair. Mine had bendix mags so I had to buy the clips.

Two new three amp circuit breakers are required for the P Mags, three is you decide to fit the ECI commander as well. Plug adapters to go to automotive plugs and a lead set.

Its not a cheap job but you will notice the difference in performance and fuel burn. Provided you plan well it is easily doable in a day.

One other tip, if you do replace both mags at the same time, when you set up the timing do both P Mags at the same time, not one then the other as this can apparently lead to them being slightly out of sync with each other. Setting the timing is really easy, set TDC on number one with the vacuum tube attached to both P Mags so both are set with the same blow and follow the instructions.

I had one EI and one mag on my 4 prior to going to dual P Mags. The engine ran really well on the EI but had an noticable drop in performance on the mag alone. Now I have dual P Mags it performs well on either or both.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm going to replace the right (non-impulse) mag with an E-mag this year, and (probably) the left mag next year when it reaches 500 hours. Several RV drivers on my field have 1 + 1, vs. having 2 electronic ignition devices, and have advised me to consider keeping the left mag rather than replacing it as a safety measure. Not sure if this is really a concern as it might have been in the past....

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm going to replace the right (non-impulse) mag with an E-mag this year, and (probably) the left mag next year when it reaches 500 hours. Several RV drivers on my field have 1 + 1, vs. having 2 electronic ignition devices, and have advised me to consider
the left mag rather than replacing it as a safety measure. Not sure if this is really a concern as it might have been in the past....

I would agree with your friends, if you were installing something other than a P-mag.

When you install your P-mag, ground it to an engine case bolt. Next year when you install the other P-mag, ground that to a different case bolt.

If you have a parallel valve engine, you will want to run the "A curve". If you have high compression pistons and/or an angle valve engine, you will want to run a custom configuration. You don't need an EICommander to adjust your P-mags, but it is easier to do with one installed. Feel free to contact me off list, if you wish.

Last edited: